Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pear warning.

My LO is experimenting with finger foods,  I thought pears would be perfect. I never thought to remove the skin, so I just cut the pear into slices. It was about three hours later that I noticed a piece of pear skin on the roof of Annabel' s mouth, she had had a breast feed since she had actually eaten the pear. Now we remove the skin before she eats them. Thought I would share and warn other mummies of this choking hazard as we are all learning together. image

Replies

• Yes, that is a very good tip. I always peel pears before slicing them, as well as apples,and also remove the skin off grapes and fruit such as peaches.  image

• I think that's unlucky. We've never removed the skin of any food that we would eat the skin of. Although my daughter has now started to take some of the skin out of mouth when eating apples. Which is strange as she now eats them whole, sometimes including the pips!

• When I give my son a whole apple as well, he bites the skin off and pushes it out! But I used always as take the skin of pears, apples, grapes. 

• Thanks for the heads up. As a 2nd time around mum I'm so much more cautious with my lb. so glad for your advice x
  • Thanks for the tip. Cucumber is the only thing that I really peel in this house for the girls x

• Great tip - I haven't started on finger foods yet (the thought really frightens me) but Bert is still so little there is no rush. What advice would you give for good 'first' finger foods, and when did you give them - I'd be really interested to know. 

• First finger foods: 

Lightly buttered toast

Roasted carrot slices, parsnips or roasted sweet potato wedges

Banana slices, although are quite slippy and slimey

Biscotti biscuits are good

Breadsticks with some hummus

Slices of melon or mango

Soft broccoli

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on. X