Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

The Wean Team!

Hi Mums! I was just wondering how involved your partner is in the weaning process? Is he clued up and ready to get stuck in, or does he have no idea and hangs back to let you do all the work!! Do you take an equal approach? Would you like them to be more involved? Or do you enjoy taking most of the responsibility? I must say I am the latter! My other half does help out (when he is not working, at weekends, etc), but although I have told him everything he should know (after weaning a LO already!), he still is a little unsure, so I have to take the reins!image

Replies

• Options

My OH is happy to feed her, and on one occasion has rustled up DD's tea, as I was out. I think he would be more than happy to do more of the cooking, and once I am back at work I am sure he will do, I just find it much easier and quicker to do it myself than explaining to him and listening to him bang about in the kitchen..............!!!!

Saying that he will do most other things round the house, so can't complain!

• Options

As we do BLW we give my daughter what we're eating so it's easy for my hubby to do it but sometimes I have to remind him that she needs snacks to & just because he's not hungry doesn't mean she isn't!

• Options

This is a difficult one because my oh does not eat veg or fish and has little concept on how long these items should take to cook. He then also refuses to take to make sure its all ok!!! Sometime I wish I could wean him!!! Anyway he is great to do breakfast, lunch and snacks but generally I need to have dinner pre prepared to make sure little one is getting some veg image

x

• Options

My OH was very keen to wait as close to 6 months as possible to wean so we agreed on that but I did start around 5 1/2 months and negotiated! I do all the batch cooking and feeding really, he helps sometimes at weekends but it's mainly just been me doing it.  I'm back to work in a few weeks and he has 2 weeks with the kids on his own so will be having to be in charge on the food front for once!  He does help with my toddler when she's having a difficult meal time and come and encourage her but sometimes we do different rules which is difficult for him as we need to both be saying the same thing really!

He does comment that maybe we need to cut down the portion size to the kids!

• Options

I've explained everything to my husband, and he's asked questions etc - he'll happily feed Bert if i ask him to, and he'll get the frozen blocks from the freezer - but he rarely cooks so I've done all of the making/cooking and the majority of the actual spoon feeding. Because he works its hard for him to do too much, but he will definitely do his fair share (when asked). We are both very health conscious now, as we were both over weight children due to our parents lack of education re:food/calories etc. We both think its vitally important to bring Bert up with healthy eating, and a healthy approach to foods so hubby has asked lots of questions through these first few weeks of weaning, and we've had lots of discussions about how we intend to educate Bert about food & exercise. 

Are your husbands health conscious and concerned about what you feed your little ones? Or do they just trust that you know best & follow your lead. 

xxx