Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What time is dinner?

I'm interested to know what time your LO has dinner and then how soon after do they go to bed. We have been having a real struggle lately with Annabel who keeps waking in the night, and has become difficult to settle off to sleep. We feed her at about 18:30 and she goes to bed at between 19:30-20:00. She has a breast feed just before she goes down.

Do you think she might be hungry in the night?, she use to sleep through but has started waking more often since we started weaning!!??

Help, any advice would be great, I feel like we have a new born on our hands again, I'm so tired!!

Replies

• Hi Nicola, I usually give my LO dinner about 1hr 15mins-1hr 30mins before bed (around 5.30-6pm). This means that she has enough time for her tummy to go down before she goes to bed, but isn't left hungry, and has some wind down time too. If your LO is feeding well and getting enough breast, she may be waking up thirsty rather than hungry,try offering her a little water perhaps? Sometimes LOs who have been great sleepers before can start waking up in the night frequently, where they havn't before! Try not to offer breast during these times if you have not done so before as if you then introduce it, your LO will then come to expect it and will be breast feeding for comfort, and the cycle of waking will be perpetuated. As i suggested, try a little water and then soothe her back to sleep without resorting to a breastfeed. Also is there any signs of teeth about to pop up? My LO wakes up a lot in the night when she has one on the way! cuddles and a bit of calpol always help in this case! Good Luck image

• I have started feeding my little for between 5:30 and 6. That way he has a play afternoon dinner and pudding and up to have a swath around 6:45

• Thanks, things are getting a bit easier and Annabel is sleeping better. I have started to give her a bigger evening meal and I make sure that by the time she has her night-time breast feed she isn't too exhausted. I have also started dinner at about 18:30 - 19:00 which I think is still a little bit late but currently works for us. I find it very hard keeping to a strict routine.

• My lo now has his dinner at around half 4 then he has a little snack usually a yogurt or rice pudding at half 6 before his milk feed then bed. Its took us nearly 12 months to get there but at last he has stopped waking for a feed in the night! 

• Henry (7 months) goes to bed at 5.30! This would not be my choice but he doesn't sleep well during the day, so he's mega tired by then. I have started giving him lunch and 11.30, my daughter (4) goes to afternoon nursery so has lunch at this time too, then I give him another meal around 2.30 and then he has a bottle before bed. I'm really hoping that he changes his sleep habits and starts sleeping better during the day, as dinner times would be so much happier if he wasn't so tired.
  • Our dinners are between 5 & 6 most nights though closer to 6 and she is in bed by 7:30 every night. She will also have an 8oz btl before she goes to bed xx