Forum home Babies Weaning

Lost appetite- poorly baby

My little one has picked up the vomiting and diarrhoea bug (most likely from nursery during his settling in sessions) on Friday night. He has got past the worst of it, but he is not eating much, he has had one small meal last night and a small dinner tonight ( since Friday evening)  He is also refusing to drink any water! Any ideas on how to get him back into eating 3 meals a day?

Replies

• I cant really help with your little one but I picked up the same bug (also on friday) and I'm still not eating much now (only one meal a day) I'm still finding it hard to eat so I would'nt worry too much. The one thing I have enjoyed are ice lollies made from fruit purees (they were meant for my little one) at least I feel like I'm getting some goodness and they have helped with my thirst when ive not felt up to drinking

• Harjeet,

Don't worry about three meals a day, when you yourself are ill you won't eat that (as Jodie has said), but do push for fluids. Ensure you try lots of water/milk or even a small drop of fruit juice. You can buy rehydration salts from the chemist, you can add juice to flavour them (dyoralite is just one of the products).

Key things to observe,

-he is having regular wet nappies

- he hasn't got a high temperature

-he isn't lethargic/drowsy

-and that he IS taking some fluids

- if not visit the GP, Nurse Practitioner or the pharmacist, or call 111 to speak to a Nures just to be on the safe side.

Once he feels better his appetite will slowly return. The important thing with any sick baby is that they get fluids and continue to have wet nappies.

Jodie-lou, hope you are feeling better soon too.

• Thanks. He is eating two meals a day now. I think he still thinks he is going to be sick because he does that horrible mouth open and sick noise when he's eating! I hope this will pass quickly. I picked up the bug Sunday night from him and it was not nice! Only just got through the 6 loads of washing that created by his vomiting last weekend!

• Oh no! you poor things! I hope you are all feeling much better soon. Both my LOs were ill with that bug not so long ago, it was awful!  My eldest had it the worst, she lost quite a bit of weight at the time, but as soon as her appetite returned she started gaining it back. I found that the childs version of dioralyte really helped keep them hydrated and replenish the essential electrolytes the body needs. I would also make quite bland soups and offer them some little and often, like the fluids, so they would get some nutrients, as well as giving them vitamin drops. image