Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Recipe Exchange - PART 2

The first recipe exchange thread is now huge, thank you to all who have posted and those who have read it. Here is phase two. Please share with us any recipes, your own or from books/online that you think other Mums would like or that you have had success with. We do have a recipe exchange feedback thread where you can post your thoughts and feedback on any of the dishes you have tried or any suggestions for dishes you would like to see.

Thanks guys - look forward to seeing/trying some more of your culinary delights!

Replies

• Cheesy Scones - Fingers food

I made the below recipe for Annabel, but omitted the salt. She really enjoyed munching on them and I enjoyed having one (or two) with a spot of afternoon tea too.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8877/cheese-scones

•  Five minute, thrown-together pasta

This meal was really quick, easy and fresh. It literally took five minutes to throw together. A stage 2 meal ideal for introducing lumps.

Take a 2-3 chopped cherry tomatoes, one spring onion chopped, a handful of spinach and some fresh basil leaves. Fry all ingredients in a pan with a small amount of butter. Once all the ingredients are softened leave to cool slightly but not completely, then place in the blender with two spoons of cold water and blend until smooth.

Boil the pasta according to packet recommendations. Mix the warn pasta with the sauce and grate some cheddar cheese on top and serve.

It really did only take five minutes! The above made enough for just one fresh meal.

• Green bean with mint risotto (for babies and big ones)

This is a fantastic family meal which can be eaten by all (from stage 2 weaning). Great for when you are in a hurry and not wanting to spend time cooking two different meals.

You will need:

-Packet of risotto rice( approx 250g- for four adults and one baby portion)

- one garlic clove

- one white onion

-table spoon of butter or oil

-handful of green beans (fresh or frozen)

-one large courgette

-two handfuls of frozen peas

-three fresh mint leaves

-approx 750mls of salt free vegetable/chicken stock (titrate according to rice packet guidelines)

-a glass of white wine (or extra salt-free stock)

-parmesan cheese to finish.

Fry the chopped onion and garlic in a spoon of butter/olive oil, once softened add the dry rice for approx 2 minutes then stir in some of the stock and wine (according to the rice packet guidelines). In another pan lightly fry the courgettes, then boil the green beans and peas.

The trick to a good risotto is to keep it moist and well hydrated so make sure you add the stock slowly and keep stirring it. Add the stock according to the rice packet guidelines as products may differ.

Add all the vegetables to the rice and mix well. Once the stock has absorbed place the mixture in bowls, sprinkle with parmesan. I blended a small bowl for Annabel, leaving some lumps in as she is on a stage 2 weaning diet.

A perfect family meal.

• Chicken, mushroom and cream cheese pasta

I made one of Annabel's favourite dishes, the garlic mushroom pate posted on the recipes exchange by KRH. I halved the ingredients then added half a roasted chicken breast and spoon of milk to loosen it.

I added Hienz baby pasta to the dish and served immediately. It could be used as a pate to spread on toast/oat cakes too.

Original recipe by KRH

Garlic Mushrooms on toast

1 clove of garlic

8 - 10 medium closed cup mushrooms

2 tspns marg/butter

sprig of thyme

1/4 tub cream cheese

Chop/crush the garlic into a small pan with the marg/butter, and start to cook. Clean and roughly chop the mushrooms and add to the pan. Cook on a medium heat for about 3-5mins, and add the cream cheese and thyme. Remove from heat once cheese has melted and pop into a blender.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/38847.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Blend to the required consistency

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/38848.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Lightly toast a piece of bread (I like wholemeal), spread a good layer of the pate onto the toast and cut into fingers (removing the crusts is wanted).

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/38849.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

If there is any pate left either pop in the fridge tomorrow or enjoy yourself!

• White Bean Hummus (from River Cottage baby/todler book)

I'm not usually one for following recipes from books but this recipe was really easy and really yummy. Without breaking copy-right laws here is a brief description of how to do it.

You will need:

One tin of butter beans in water

a clove of garlic

a tsb of tahini paste

some olive oil (approx 2 tsb)

(some paprika to sprinkle on end product )

Basically chop the garlic, place in a blender with the drained butter beans add a spoon of olive oil and the tahini paste. Blend until thick and creamy. Place in a dish then add a bit of extra olive oil and the paprika ( if using).

We had it on toast for breakfast and then with falafels for lunch.

Yum, yum.

• Baby Quiche

Quiche is a great food to give your LO, it is full of a number of food groups, protiens, dairy products, and you can add as much vegetables as you desire. Annie loves it, a great finger food.

You will need:

A pie/quiche/circular oven dish (comes in varying sizes)

Ready to roll short crust pastry.

2 eggs.

Half a cup of milk.

A cup of grated cheese.

2 tsp of double cream.

Veg of your choice -( tomatoes, onions, leeks, broccoli, or meats such as ham/chicken)

Herbs of your choice -(pepper, basil, oregano, parsley).

Preheat the oven according to the packet guidelines, (normally approx 180 degrees). Cover the circular oven dish with baking paper, roll out the pastry on a clean floured surface to approx a 2-3cm depth, a bit bigger than the dish. Place the pastry in the dish, and press down to the shape of the dish, cut any excess pastry. Cover with baking beads (can use uncooked rice if you don't have baking beads) and place in the oven for approx 10 minutes (or according to packet guidelines)

Whisk the eggs, milk and cream together in a jug. Add the grated cheese and veg and herbs, make sure you give a good stir to ensure all the ingredients are well folded in.

Remove the pastry from the oven, remove the baking beads/rice, pour over the mixture being sure not to over fill the dish. I grate a bit of extra cheese on the top.

Return to the oven for approx 25-30 minutes or until the mixture has set.

Leave to cool, cut into bite size pieces and serve!

One of Annabel's favourites!!