Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Desserts?

Do you give your LOs desserts after every meal? If so what do you give them? Even just giving fruit with every meal has such a high sugar content, I am getting worried about the amount of sugar I give Annabel. She has porridge for breakfast, and a bit of toast, after lunch I give her some fruit pieces or a fromag frais, the same at the evening meal. I worry as even natural fresh fruit is full of natural sugars, jars or pouches of food seem to have high sugar contents as does baby porridge. How do I reduce her sugar (natural and refined) amount. Help! I don't want an obese baby/toddler!! image

Replies

• Options

Much the same as buying for yourself, look at the 'traffic light' food information tags for GDAs.  My girls have weetabix for breakfast, a snack mid-morning (fruit/yogurt/fromage frais), a roll/sandwich for lunch with a bar of chocolate or bag of crisps, a snack mid afternoon (fruit/yogurt/fromage frais), evening meal followed by pudding (mousse/fromage frais/yogurt/ice cream) & then warm milk before bed.  Both girls are ideal BMI range (the lower end so nowhere near overweight) & are happy, healthy, active children. 

The more active your child the more calories they will burn so remember to couple the snacks with exercise (going to the park, toddler/play groups, swimming....) & teeth brushing is also essential for good health too.

• Options
    I too worry about the level of sugar in my little ones diet. I buy yogurts that have no added sugar, he doesn't like biscuits, buy porridge without added sugar. He loves fruit, but I don't think its enough to worry about. You could combine yogurt with pureed fruits and make your own fruit yogurt.
  • Options

I have never bought fromage frais or other flavoured yogurt, as I am not sure about all the other added ingredients in them! I tend to just get a big pot of full fat greek yogurt, and DD is quite happy with it - I will serve it with fruit pieces/puree, or even just a little jam as a sweeter treat

Also, if we have had something with custard, I will give her some of that, again with fruit, and/or some greek yogurt mixed in.

As for porridge, just use normal oats or oatmeal, cooked with semi-skimmed or full fat milk. If you feel extra flavour or sweetness is needed add chopped fruit or a teeny bit of jam. All pretty good ingredients, and much kinder on your pocket!

For a similar type of food for puddings, look at ground rice/semolina. Again a good starchy/carbohydrate rich base which you can add your own flavours too. Make a batch up, and it will keep in the fridge for a day or 2.