Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Spoons

I started last month letting my LO use a spoon to try and feed himself. I thought we were getting off to a good start but he has not improved. I'm sure I'm just worried for no reason as there is no rush but I would be interested to know how your little ones are doing at this stage?

Replies

• my little one turned 11 months on Wednesday and he is very good at getting food into his mouth with a spoon and a fork. I normally load it on and then he manoeuvres it into his mouth. if a little bit of food has not quite got into his mouth and is hanging out, he will use his hand to push it into his mouth.  saying this I have tried letting him take the food out the bowl himself and he tries, but we end up with food every way, including the ceiling as he has managed to flick a loaded spoon of the end of a bowl. other times, when I had loaded a fork, he will get excited and start waving his hands and the food comes flying off image I think the nursery make the children feed themselves as much as possible, so maybe that's why he wants to feed himself rather than me doing it for him.

• Ill start loading the spoon for him and build it up in stages instead of him trying to do everything himself. Ill start over the weekend and keep you posted image

• Ah the joys of cutlery!! My LO has a love hate relationship with them! she can use a spoon, albeit messily, but when given one she will use it for a little bit then use it for percussion/ dispose of it over the side of the highchair and get stuck in with her hands! That said, she demanded her sisters spoon the other day to eat peas and sweetcorn..this was a very long process (with many ending up scattered around the floor) but I was suprised the determination she had and how long she stuck at it! Give him lots of encouragement and praise when he does uses a spoon, but don't push, Maybe use some cutlery in a role play game with him too, my LO is forever pretending to use a spoon when not at the dinner table, for feeding herself and others! it is a good way to help build the skills they need, but not in an environment where they may feel a bit pressured. image

• Ive been letting Marley play with a spoon more and I think it may be helping. We start a meal with me loading the spoon but he soon gets fed up and wants to use the spoon in his own. There is lots of mess and most misses his mouth but its a start image

• glad to hear he is getting the hang of it! image

• The spoon feeding is slowly getting better and he is enjoying using it more now. More food is getting into his mouth even if he does have to use his other hand for a little help sometimes image

• That's great news, it's takes a lot of patience and encouragement. My little one is still very messy using a spoon especially when he is trying to load the spoon himself.