Forum home Babies Weaning

Quorn

Question: Do you feed your LOs quorn and/or other meat substitues and if so when did you start and how/what do you give them?

Thinking of introducing some quorn based meals for Annabel who is almost 8 months now.

Thanks image

Replies

• we started giving it at 6.5 months. It's low in calories and fat so needs part of a meal with other things. I asked the HV and she said it was ok to give it so early.  NHS say not to introduce before 9 months. But I have not found any problems with it with my little one.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/when-can-I-give-Quorn-to-my-baby.aspx?CategoryID=62&SubCategoryID=63

• I have given my LO organic tofu now and again and she has tried organic tempeh, I first gave her some at around 9 months, I had made a stir fry for the familly and just adapted a portion for her. I tend however to swap the meat for pulses (ie,making patties from chickpeas, kidney beans and potatoes). do check the salt content as a lot of meat subtitues can have high levels. It is also recomended that portions of meat substitutes should be kept small for under 3's, smaller than the meat portions you would normally give. image

• I eat a lot of quorn which is why I don't really give the kids our meals because obviously quorn doesn't have all the nutrients that meat does (such as iron).  But I have given it to them and probably did it from 7 months.  They seem to like it but I worry it doesn't have enough calories for them.

Today I was having left over fajita for lunch which had quorn chicken and my daughter (2) wanted to try it.  She really liked the quorn and the spice of the fajita so I was quite impressed!!

• No meat substitutes in this house I'm afraid. We are all huge carnivores. I have veggie friends who have given their babies quorn though throughout weaning and again have never had any issues. Good luck xx