Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby porridge

I am still giving Annabel baby-porridge for breakfast, sometimes I mix it with fresh fruit or fruit puree to make it more interesting. Is it time to move off the baby porridge and onto ready break, weetabix or other cereals. Not sure if it is advised at eight months or should I be waiting until my LO is older? What do/did you do? 

Replies

• Options

We've never used baby cereal we've used ready brek from 6 months with fruit mixed in. We tried weetabix but his tummy is a bit sensitive to it so we give him oatabix instead again from early on and we've not had any problems with either. He's now almost 11 months and has special k, cornflakes, rice crispies, cheerios, readybrek and oatabix. X

• Options

Thanks Maxs Mummy (It makes me smile every time I see you post about your name change)

I tried Annabel with Weetabix and I too thought that they were too heavy for her. I might leave it a few weeks and try again.

Good to know that you have been giving 'adult' cereals and that your LO has been ok with them. I don't like the baby porridge   

• Options

I also have given my little one adult porridge oats and rolled oats (ready brek) mixed with fruit purée and he likes it. Somes I do give him baby porridge ( no added sugar range) as it has added iron. However, he does not like any other cereal with milk image He will eat rice crispies with milk!

• Options

I have been visiting a friend, she has a little boy of 17 months, he has normal porridge for breakfast. Annabel has been having this for breakfast with him, she has really enjoyed it, she has not vomited, her poo has not changed and the texture is perfectly manageable for her, in other words she was ready for ‘grown up' porridge. Once we get home next week I’ll try her on Weetabix/oatabix. I think that I will still give her baby porridge as it is fortified with iron and vitamins so would like this added nutritional  valve at least once or twice a week.

• Options

Hi, my Gabrial is nearly 9 months and has been having "adult porridge" for about a month, i've been mixing it with normal full fat milk and banana to sweeten it, he really enjoys this, i also blend the porridge down which gives you ready brek ( takes a little longer in the microwave) and he really goes for this at breakfast time, if i run out of fruit i mix with some of his baby formula as this is sweeter than normal milk.

• Options

If I don't have much time in the morning, I use adult porridge or ready brek and mix it with some milk and package fruit purees to sweeten.

• Options
    I took Henry (7 months) off baby porridges and cereal when I looked at the ingredients and noticed how much added sugar there was. He is happy on ready brek and wheet a bix.
  • Options

This is really interesting reading ladies - Bert is 8 months and has baby wholegrain banana porridge with a rusk and previously boiled water every morning - he devours it and really enjoys it. I have weetabix every morning, and it was only the other day I was eating my breakfast after Bert and he started shouting at me and salivating and opening his mouth so I thought I'd let him try some - he gobbled up about half my bowl! image And then it occurred to me that maybe he might soon be ready to make the switch! You've encouraged me even more now, and I think I might start giving him weetabx a few times a week and see how he gets on. I probably won't use cows milk until he gets to 12 months, but I'm sure he'll enjoy it with water and some fruit puree. image

• Options
    They can have cows milk on cereal etc, just not as a drink. Unless he has an allergy. X
  • Options

Ohh thanks DebTad - I didn't know that - he's never tried it, so I may well try it on his cereal then, and see how he gets on. Thanks! image 

• Options
    Any cooking too can be cows milk. Henry intolerant so has soya but he loves it x