Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Airplane Weaning - what is the etiquette?

When going through the security barrier to catch you plane, you are of course not allowed to take through fluids or foods. This becomes difficult if you have a weaning baby.  We recently had to do this for the first time, I of course had no idea what the etiquette was. I thought I would share my experience in case anyone has a flight coming up and like me, didn’t have a clue what I was supposed to do, Ha Ha.

I took in my Lo’s feeding bag, her feeder cup with water, a banana, a Heinz rice pudding dessert (un opened), some homemade lentil and chickpea sausages, a Heinz meal pouch and some Organix gingerbread biscuits.  All of which were in individual reseal able plastic bags.

On entering the security check I had to open all the plastic bags, I had to drink some of the water and the unopened  food for me to taste ( the rice pudding and the pouch). They were suspicious of my sausages and almost didn’t let me take them through, I had to have a little nibble of them (very nice even if I say so myself) and explain what they were and how I had made them. They did let me through with all the food, but advised that the banana would get through customs on the otherside so must be eaten in transit, 

I would advise that if you are travelling on a plane, take closed packaged readymade food. It would have been terrible if they had have taken the sausages off me. Do as I did and place it in reseal able plastic bags and be prepared to have to taste it!! I had also packed babyfood in my main luggage, I declared this on my customs card but it was not checked or open!

If you are using formula you need to do the same and be prepared to taste it, I would buy the readymade cartoons rather then trying to get through with a white powder!!

It’s actually not that scary and I’m sure that it is unlikely they would take it off you as you could always argue that you would have a hungry, screaming baby on the flight – which let’s face it, nobody wants!!