Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

The Butty!!

Life is a lot easier now that Annabel can eat sandwiches. I first introduced these too her about 3 weeks ago (so just after the 8 month mark). I gave her Philadelphia cheese on really soft white-bread. She had already been eating toast for breakfast for a while so was use to the look of bread and confident in holding 1/6 of a piece.

Yesterday I gave her a grated cheese sandwich which she loved. She has also had a tuna one and a hummus one. They make such great quick and easy lunches or foods to take out on the move. 

I know some people worry about giving too much bread, but the odd sandwich every now and then is a real easy convient food in my opinion. 

Replies

• I would love it if my little one eat a sandwich. At 12 months he will only eat 1/4 of a sandwich. Not sure what it is he doesn't like. Have tried cheese and soft cheese and tuna. Never eats enough of it to be any use to him! I will have to keep on trying.

• Harjeet, do you give him toast? is he use to holding toast? If not perhaps try him on that first.

My friend said that her 16 month old would not eat sandwiches, but actually he joined in with Annabel and myself when we ate our packed lunch. Try eating one alongside him or start by sharing your own sandwich with him. Or he might just not be a fan!! ha ha.

• I give him toast. He holds it, has 2-3 bites, but normally rips fit apart. But nursery have said he eats toast there. Same with sandwiches. I will have to keep trying, would make my life easier! He likes cheese on toast, so just don't understand what it is with him!

• Ah! the Sandwich! Great for when your pressed for time, an so many combo choices! lol! both my LOs were a bit funny with the bread part of sandwiches when I first introduced them, they would eat all the insides, nibble some of the bread and leave the rest!! I found they liked wraps better, and i would also buy a small loaf to cut myself, to make thinner slices, that seemed to go down well too! Even now they still prefer it to normal sliced bread! they love a bit of rye, sourdough and a pitta too! Hurray the sandwich! image

• I agree, got to love a sandwich!! My lo loves them and he enjoys it when he is eating the same as me. For his birthday party all the sarnies were cut into different shapes such as stars and little hand prints which went down very well with the toddlers. He eats any bread so likes wraps and pitas too (but this seems to make much more mess!) 

He will eat almost anything on a sandwich, favourites being cream cheese, cheese and pickle and egg mayo. He even had turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce the other day getting in the festive mood

• Bert had his first cheese spread sandwich at about 7 months - he loved squishing it and exploring it, and ate some…he's getting better at not just playing with it now, and enjoys the independence. I bought an awesome Tetris style sandwich cutter on eBay which cuts off all the crusts and cuts the main sandwich into 5 good sizes easy to hold 'tetris' pieces in one swift push down of the cutter - handy!