Forum home Babies Weaning

Teething - back to purees

Annabel is teething, 4 teeth on the top about to come through. She can't seem to chew food that she previously was able to eat independently for example melon, roasted parsnips or even potato wedges. I thought melon would be soothing and she would enjoy eating it, however instead she sucks it and attempts to bite it but is not able so ends up spitting it on the floor.

I have reverted to purees or extremely soft foods, she can't even manage a slice of cucumber. I'm hoping this is just because she has got 4 teeth at once. I am giving her regular pain killers, the poor little thing! Has this happened to anybody else? What did you do?  

Replies

• I just went with it with my lo, she really suffered with her teeth her cheeks used to swell and everything. 4 teeth is a lot to cut at once, are they front or back teeth? I found letting her chomp on a sugar free rusk helped to cut them through. My oh mum gave me bickie pegs but I didn't trust them due to the size. And nice cold yogurts or ice pops/fruit juice lollies. I think till she's past the worst of it you just have to go with it as at least she's getting food in her. It's a really tough time but once it's done it's done. Well till they start falling out again I guess! X

• Hannah also cut teeth 'en mass' & would go off more 'chewable food' such as chicken dippers, fish fingers & sausages.

We went with softer foods through the stage - mashed potato, fromage frais/yogurts, banana, rusks, soft vegetables....along with offering the odd jar of pureed food to allow for the missing meat/fruit nutrients.

• my little one has been teething for about 3 weeks. he has decided to doubled the amount of teeth he has, from 8 to 16! he too on some days not wanted to eat lumpy foods so I have phase to make them into purées on a num ee of occasions. Nursery noticed too and did the same! hopefully, little one will get back tminor mall eating once the teeth have all cut through. He has had temperature, runny poos and nappy rash too.

• Annabel got the most horrendous nappy rash during this teething bout, I was actually quite upset at how bad it was. She had never had nappy rash before, so it was quite a shock.

I am still doing very soft or pureed food, it is the only way. Poor little things, it's horrible to watch you little one in so much discomfort.

Fingers crossed it won't last too long!

• I remember caitlins. She looked like shed been dragged along the pavement on her bare bum cheeks, bleeding and terribly sore. It is distressing but it won't last forever xx

• We now have a whole 6 teeth!!! 4 at the top and two at the bottom. I love the way it has changed Annabel's face and made her look 'grown up' Ha ha. I'm slowly introducing harder/firmer foods again.

Actually Annabel was also really poorly, she had a chest infection so I think the combination of her being ill and teething just put her off her food. She stole half my Sunday roast today so I think she is on the mend, ha ha!

• glad to her she is on the mend. My little on is back to normal food, he has nearly got all his teeth. a couple of molars are cutting through at the moment!

• At first my lo was really fussy with food when teething and I would put fruit in the freezer for a bit to make it nice and cold, also ice lollies made with fruit purees. Touch wood with the last lot of teeth that came through he would still eat everything but just smaller amounts. He is up to 12 teeth now so fingers crossed he is okay with the next to cut through