Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

To mash or not to mash

At 10 months Annabel mostly eats the same foods as us, but some days we have to mash it and other days she will just eat the food as it comes (obviously soft foods - not rib eye steak or anything). Does this happen to your LOs?, why can she manage ordinary food some days and then other days she needs it mashing like we use to do months ago!!!???

Replies

• Options

Flo is 13 and a half months, and I still mash some of her foods. I find that sometimes she needs to get used to flavours, so if mashing it up means she gets to know the taste then that's okay!

We more often than not eat 'one pot' dishes, and the chunks can be quite big, so I tend to at least chops things up smaller for her.

I also think it sometimes depends how tired they are!

• Options

At 10 months Marley was the same as Annabel and would eat the same as us one day and then mashed the next. He is now 14 months and over the last few months he has reduced the amount of mashed foods he eats. There are still a couple of things he prefers mashed such as carrots but I mash mine anyway so he is still eating the same as me image

• Options

I had the same problem and at 14 months he will go through phases when he wants the food mashed to a purée! This is usually when he is teething, ill or tired! One day he will eat family meal chopped into small pieces and then the next he will refuse to eat it like that!

• Options

I guess it depends on the child. We did BLW so I only mashed food that we were having mashed as my daughter ate everything that we had, so only potatoes were mashed. Everything else I gave as we had. Steak is fine from 6 months!!

• Options
    Henry's the same (10 months) he loves feeding himself with finger food, and I tried just chopping up the roast dinner today, but he wasn't interested, but as soon as I mashed it a little he ate the whole lot!