Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Too much sugar

I seem to becoming more and more aware of how much sugar is added to things.

I have always known that yogurts are quite bad, and tend to just feed Flo natural/greek yogurt with fresh fruit purees and perhaps a touch of honey.

However, even simple things like cereal seems to have quite a large amount of sugar in it, and I know that are quite a lot of snacky foods that contain sugars (natural and/or added).

I have been trying to think of things that are tasty, but low in sugar - so I made some oatcakes today, but I think I might have to refine the recipe! Once I have done that I will share the recipe here.

Has anyone got any good ideas? Fruit is good, but I don't want Flo to become too reliant on sweet foods!

Replies

• My little one eats a lot of fruit. I give him baby yogurts without added sugar, a few brands available. also, just add a fruit purée to Greek or natural yogurt at home. I found keeping frozen fruits (berries) in the freezer very handy to make fruit yogurt. 

I use honey or unrefined sugar (palm sugar) if I want to make a sweet pudding. at nursery he eats cake and biscuits - but the nursery make it reduced sugar.

I agree, shop brought foods, depending on brand, do contain a lot of sugar. I always check the packaging before buying and if it doesn't say what percentage is added sugar I won't buy it as I have found when checked on the internet it is very high!

will try make the oatcakes once you post the recipe.

• This was a huge concern of mine initially, but I have readjusted what I feed Annabel. I use to think that she needed a meal then a dessert with snacks in between, however I  don't have a dessert after every meal so why should Annabel. Now she only has one dessert a day, a yogurt, a baby custard, baby porridge, or a homemade sugar free/sugar reduced muffin (See Carrot muffins in Carrot - Food of the month post). At lunch time I give her a bigger main course, with more veg or protein based foods.

Fruit has so much natural sugar in it but is obviously so good and nutritious so I make sure that Annabel has lots of fruit snacks.  

Reading labels is useful but I think where you can making your own ensures you know what goes into it. 

• Carrot Muffins for toddlers/older peeps

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/40006.jpg?width=221&height=350&mode=max

These muffins are delicious. You can reduce the sugar by half and add a bit more cinnamon to flavour if desired, if you want to give to younger children/babies/toddlers etc. We love them in our house. I have let Annabel share one (with half the sugar) and she gobbled it down.

You will need:

3 medium carrots - washed and grated

170g margarine

100g light brown sugar (can use half!)

140g plain flour

1 tea spoon of baking powder

half a tea spoon of bicarbonate of soda

1 tea spoon of cinnamon

1 tea spoon of water

One medium egg.

Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy (hand or electric mixer). Add the egg and beat. Stir in the grated carrots and fold together. Add the spoon of water.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, the bicarbonate of soda and the cinnamon. Fold into the carrot mixture.

Place mixture in 12 muffin/cupcake cases in a bun tray (I use the silicon cases inside a metal bun tray). Bake in a preheated oven gas mark 4 (180c) for 30 -35 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack after approx 10 minutes out of the oven.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/40007.jpg?width=221&height=350&mode=max

• I've just made Annabel a batch of sugar reduced flapjacks and savoury cheese and tomato muffins. Not sure how she'll like the flapjacks (but I know Mummy and Daddy will). I'll let you know and post recipe. x  

• This recipe for banana bread is really nice. Sugar free. Spread a bit of honey on if you want it a bit sweeter, add cocoa powder for chocolate version. The kids loved it. 

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/.../paleo-banana-bread/

• At the mo I'm on a sugar detox. There was an article in the mail saying that sugar can be worse that nicotine, it dulls our taste buds making foods less tasty!

I'm now like a crazy lady checking labels etc. Thanks for the recipes. Def going to try these!
  • The worst offenders rather than sugar is aspartame. If it says sugar free or Diet chances are its a massive no no for good health. Good luck on your sugar detox  image

• Dispatches Chanel 4 20:00 20/1/2014 - Very interesting programme about sugar in our diets. Watch it on 4OD!!