Forum home Babies Weaning

New year weaning/feeding resolutions

Happy New Year!

So here we find ourselves in 2014, and I am thinking that I may have become a bit lazy in my food choices for Flo.

I seem to revert to making a tomato based sauces, and serve it with rice or pasta................ not so much variety these days, but I guess that comes with being back at work fulltime!

So I am going to write here my plans for food for Flo!

As we live in a rented property I am overly aware of making a mess, so I do not let her use a spoon herself very often, so this needs to change! I need to buy a cheap shower curtain, and let Flo feed herself and explore food more.

The next stage will be feeding her less sauce based mush, and more chunks of food to chomp on.

Then I think I need to introduce foods that I'm not that keen on - olives, hummus and coconut - any recommendations???!!!!!

Replies

• How old is your daughter? Can you not just give her the same food that you're eating? Then you can be more adventurous together. & yes, shower mats are fab under the table as you can then just throw it in the washing machine. Good luck.

• KRH, I know how you feel. I am feeling very guilty as over the festive season I have been so busy that Annabel (11 months) has eaten what ever was quick and easy to make. Lots of cheese on toast, eggs on toasts and jacket potatoes (all quite healthy but not much effort or thought required). I start back at work next week so am hoping to get the freezer full of homemade goodies before then.

We have a piece of PVC table cloth on the floor and it is amazing as we can just wipe it clean. But I too am a bit nervous about letting Annabel feed herself with a spoon! I have enough cleaning to do, ha ha.

Blackcat - I am trying to give Annabel the foods we eat, but sometimes I don't eat lunch or (especially over the festive season) went to eat late with friends (and a bottle of wine!) so its not always that appropriate for Annabel to eat with us. What I have also become aware of, since weaning, is that some of the meals we eat are actually not that healthy - but taste pretty good ha ha.

We were in Scotland for new year and Annabel tried haggis (both meat and vegetarian) with neats and tatties, she loved it. I held off letting her try the whisky sauce though..ha ha

• I know this feeling as I got stuck in a major rut especially with my toddler!  I asked on facebook for some advice and got some great lunch tips.  Soup was a popular one (freeze in batches) and also mackerel / sardine pate which is so easy to make (from a tin with philadelphia cream cheese and squeeze of lemon).  Also doubles up as my lunch later on!

• Weaning is the one time that I feel I can be adventurous in the kitchen much to my annoyance (not a fish or veg fan!!) Lots of fish gets eaten, fishcakes are great because they can be made easily in advance and cooked from frozen when you get in from work or want a late dinner/takeawayimage Also homemade soups are a great freezer staple as they can be bulked out on the night with some freshly cooked veg, meat, pasta or rice. You could make a big batch of mash potato too which can be unfrozen when needed. My 20 mth old loves risotto and in the past few months has gotten fab at feeding herself from a spoon. She slowly mastered this with very little mess. She would try 1 or 2 spoons and if she wasnt successful would ask us to help and progressively got better and better from there. Just make sure you have a mat under her chair to help with any accidental bowl spills, the bibs with the cather at the bottom are fab top. image