Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

The joys of weaning

I started weaning Henry at 6 months, even though I already have a daughter and have been through this before, I was nervous! Allergies choking etc. As most mums do I started on baby porridge and Henry loved it. The packed says to try a little, Henry had a whole bowl! Also tried the sachets of sweet potato and apple all the basic stage 1 packet purees, all were ok and he thought they were tasty. I'm now moving onto stage 2 and looking at finger food too.

Replies

• My little one ate up big portions too!  Always good to have a healthy appetite!  He's coming up to 9 months now so looking at stage 3 and more finger food for meal times.  Need to get doing more bulk cooking again!

• So after realising that Henry is allergic to cows milk, (the hives have it away) he is now on soya with his brekkie and any cooking I do. Allergy test on Wednesday cannot come soon enough.

I'm still nervous about finger foods, but the longer I leave the worse I'm going to be.

I'm a little bit upset that Henry didn't like the sweet pot, apple and chicken that I made, this was a hit when I was weaning my daughter. Still another 3 meals for him to try.
  • Have you tried goats milk? I can only imagine the worry but as you know from your daughter kids are so resilient. If he doesn't like it he won't eat it and now that you are aware of the potential for allergies you are so much better prepared if something happens again in the future. Good luck hon x

• Thank you. He's in soya at the mo and seems to love it x
  • So after a few awful nights of Henry scratching his poorly face, i decided to stop all food until his allergy test which was today, but I was wrong and today was a chat with a paediatric doctor. She has referred Henry to an allergy clinic though. And we are now going to be using a prescription milk (??60!) I can carry on weaning but need to go back to basic foods first. I feel so down as it's like I've lost a month of getting him onto more foods, but his health is the most important thing.
  • Oh no, sorry to hear that you're down but you're right health is the most important thing.  Hopefully you'll get your appointment through soon.

Can I ask what is his skin like? My 8 1/2 month old has always had "high maintenance" / eczema more or less since he was born but is definitely getting worse at the moment, so much so he cut himself whilst scratching today.  I've made another appointment to see the doctor as the creams are working (not until 4th Feb, grr) but just wondered if I should maybe ask whether food is making it worse... She did briefly ask last time I was there is he was having cows milk.

Good luck - keep us up to date x

• I used to suffer rotten eczema as a child so much so I had to bandage my hands at night as they wept - it can be brought on by certain foods and drinks so it's possible something's not agreeing with him or making it worse. GL

• His skin can get really bad. I do have pics but not sure how to post on here. Red raw and weppy. Lh86 I know there are so many children worse of than Henry, my friend knows a little girl that has to wear a full body suit, but if Henry's is food related hopefully I can stop it. Since stopping his good it's almost cleared up, but at almost 7 months he shouldn't be in just milk x x
  • Definitely  something going on then I hope they find the cause for u x

• So after stopping all food for a few days Henry's skin is perfect. But of course he wasn't too happy on just milk, so I introduced some foods I knew he was ok on. Some of the pre packed stuff, although don't have any nasties in, have tomatoes in, which I find strange when it was called "Sunday dinner" I guess it's to get all the vitamins etc in. But I've made up some meals so will try him on. Since bringing back food his excema has flared up again image still waiting for a date for his allergy test.
  • How frustrating, rather hard to avoid "food" altogether.  Hope the date comes through soon, my doctors appointment is next week and might enquire about allergy testing.

I've been using this stuff, although it's called nappy salve it's really helped on his dry legs and where he's scratched so much he's cut himself

http://www.purepotions.co.uk/collections/all/products/lavender-nappy-salve-60ml

• Sorry just seen this, thank you. X
  • Finally got his allergy appt 11th feb! I'm still only giving him a few bits as so nervous that something bad will happen to him, like a servere reaction like with the strawberries. Ready break still has traces of cows milk, this is why his excema has come back. I've just got some Ella's kitchen porridge which is maize and rice and nothing else, so I can make this up with the soya milk.

The neocate milk that the dr prescribed is awful, smells so bad it made me gag, so I'm not surprised that Henry wouldn't drink it. I'm currently mixing it in with his normal formula and I will gradually take out the normal formula.

Roll on the 11th!
  • Can't wait till Tuesday. Gave him a hienz chicken Sunday dinner and his face flared up. I wondered if it's because it has tomatoes in it. Not sure why you would have tomatoes in a Sunday dinner? Can only think it's to bump up the vitamins etc.

I have also tried just plain carrot and parsnip which he seemed ok on.

Once I know what he can and can't have I've got to crack on with the weaning. It's a joke that at over 7 months old he is still really only on porridge.
  • My son goes red after tomatoes as well.  He's ok with tomato sauce but not with actual tomatoes.  It's quite high in acidity and possibly the skin more than the flesh that's the problem.  My daughter had it a little bit too but grew out of it.

• Good Luck for Tuesday Deb Tab, fingers crossed they will get you on the right road for what your little boy is allergic to. It must be so frustrating for both of you  xx

• Just an update. Tuesday was not an allergy test. I'm so angry and upset as I was told it was. Henry has been booked in for a blood test ???? on Friday, and then got to wait for the allergy test!

In the mean time I'm going back to basics, carrots, parsnips etc etc. And starting all over again. To see if I can figure out what allergies he has while I wait for the appt, I just hope that this has not put him off ????
  • That's so frustrating.  Hate it when that sort of thing happens.

I'm sure it hasn't put him off at all, he'll still have a natural curiosity about food I'm sure

• How is the back to basics going? Have you identified anything that he is allergic too?

xx

• It's going really well, face all clear. Every now and then it goes a tiny bit red, can't really identify what it is though. But he's extra happy and the dry skin has cleared up. Blood tests tomorrow. Thanks for asking x x