Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Finger food ideas

Henry is nearly 7 months and I feel like I have been slow getting him onto food, what with school runs etc. He is on stage 2 foods, but only just starting on finger foods. Gave him banana today. What kind of finger foods are your little ones having?

Replies

• I used to give bits of fruit and veg, toast fingers, sugar free rusks, small slices of cheese, dry cereals, you can get little snack packs of like crisps but I think they're corn snacks with low sugar/salt content designed for little ones. Maybe try a few of those?maybe stick to softer stuff and stuff he can suck at first though x

• We use rice cakes, little biscuits (like the Heinz biscotti) and bread sticks.  We went to a restaurant when our son was about 7 months and with only two teeth he managed to eat his way through quite a lot pitta bread!  Also worth trying which we started recently (he's now 8 months) is pear (take skin off and cut) but it is slippy!!

• My daughter who is just 6 months has cucumber, peppers, toast, orange segments, breadsticks, breakfast bisuits (heinz) , rice cakes, carrot sticks (cooked). Most fruit and veg are fab although some may need to be softened a little in the microwave which is fun for me at the moment as mine is broken!! You could try pitta breads like pp mentioned with hummous or tsaziki. Anything that you like to snack on should be fine for lo as long as its not too processed, high in salt or sugar. Good luck image

• Thanks ladies, I tried rice cakes and he gagged badly in them which has put me right off. He has tongue tie but coped well with the banana.
  • Wow emlowe your way ahead of me, I'm just trying to find a good routine as I have a 3 nearly 4 year old who goes nursery in the afternoons, which despite what my hubby thinks 3 hours isn't long! Lol
  • HAHA Deb Tab, by no means way ahead of you. Just trying to be a little adventurous this time round. I have a 20 mth old too who LOVES food which does help and she only goes to nursery twice a week for half days. I would love to say those times are used to get the house clean but I generally sit on my bum, put my small lady down for a nap and watch catch up telly.... naughty mum and terrible wife I knowimage

• Sounds like heaven! I need to get my confidence back and get my little monster eating new things x