Forum home Babies Weaning

Budget saving

I used to be a bit of a snob about having fresh veg but since having a toddler and a baby I've found that frozen veg is just simply amazing!!  It means no waste and can use as much or as little as I want. Also good as I always have veg on hand now. And this might sound a bit of a contradiction but the frozen veg from Waitrose is the best value as there is much less stalk so you actually get more in a packet.

I also used to buy the yeo valley yogurts as they seemed the best with only fruit sugar and no other sugar.  My friend who is a nutritionist also thought that they were very good.  But the cost of buying them for two adds up so I'm just buying a big pot of greek yogurt and giving them a portion each sometimes with added fruit on the side.

Has anyone else got any good ways to save money whilst also still giving healthy and nutritional food?

Replies

• I often buy the packets of fresh vegetables for £1 and then make a few meals from the contents. So for example, I have just made a soup from a £1 soup mix, I added a few vegetables from the freezer and a few potatoes to thicken it up. I do the same with fresh fruits, this week I brought blueberries and strawberries for a £1 a punnet. One of our favourites are the cauliflower and broccoli mix, I make this with a cheese sauce and place half in the freezer, this is really easy, cheap and a nutritious meal.  

I also buy large pots of plain/Greek yogurt and add a fruit puree, such as apple or pear. This is defiantly cheaper than individual pots of yogurt, and if you get decent tubberwear pots you can put the yogurt in your baby's lunch bag. Annabel does actually just enjoy plain yogurt so sometimes has that too.

Making pasta and rice dishes are also a good way to make bulky, cheap meals which (with the right ingredients added) can be nutritious and filling. image

• Yes the big yogurts are such a good saving.

I've also been using tinned fruit, particularly for the end of the week when we don't have much fresh fruit left!  And it means that I can serve my toddler the fruit and puree (and add to yogurt) for my baby.

I always cook in bulk and make lots of meals.  But things like a lasagne can make 11 meals for my toddler so the cost per meal is very low!

Anyone else got any good budget saving tips?

• I definitely agree about the frozen veggies - they are just fab! I think frozen berries are also amazing - Aldi sell frozen punnets of raspberries and blueberries which are so much cheaper than buying fresh. I also head to the supermarket just before closing on a sunday sometimes and get lots of good bargains which are at their use by date and store it all in a chest freezer in our garage - that would be my main money saving tip - freezer space! We bought our chest freezer second hand on eBay for £40 and its literally brilliant. We freeze bread and milk - and I just buy in bulk when its cheap or on multibuy. image