Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Fitting in weaning?

Babies love a routine, we all know that. But what about when life just doesn't work out like that. I also have a daughter (4) and I have to take her to pre school In the afternoon, which makes lunch very early. And then when we get back from school around 4.30pm she wants dinner straight away, I'm finding it hard spending time to get Henry, 7 months, into a routine. Oh and he likes to go to bed early, 6pm! Anyone having the same problem, or any suggestions would be great.

Replies

• It's difficult isn't it to fit it all in.  Breakfast in our house varies as my daughter goes to nursery two day a week so on those mornings my younger ones breakfast has to be later.  Luckily because we're in the car he seems to be occupied enough.

We tend to start lunch about 11.15, seems early but my toddler is going through a slow eating phase and I'm giving the younger one finger food as well.  This means I can get them down for nap around 12.  I also do dinner around 4.30/5 because this is when my daughter has it at nursery.  It seems to fit and they don't want to eat again (but both have milk pre bed).  I guess if he's going to bed early then the meals can be earlier to fit in?  But it's a constant juggle isn't it!  I feel like my day is slotted into units of time and mainly based around eating and sleeping!

• Hi,

I only have one daughter she is almost one, but we have only just got in to a routine, and this was because I was going back to work. I wanted my baby to be as flexible as possible, I know that sounds idealistic but I was determined that as a new mother I wouldn't rush back for nap/lunch/breast feeding times etc. Now Annabel is older she is aware of timings, for example, gets hungry at dinner times, tired at bed times but is still quite flexible. If we are running late so have a later lunch she is fine as long as I give her some finger food to nibble on, same with bed time, if it is a bit later than normal (special occasions etc) she is fine.

I can imagine it is hard once you have 2 and have to abide by nursery/school times, but while your little one is only little I would just let him fit into the routine/flow of what you need to do with the big one. -

I'm sure when I have 2 little ones, I'll be back asking you for advice. Ha ha. x

• I find this really hard too.. My toddler has a decent enough routine but she goes to nursery 2 half days a week, one morning and one afternoon. This means that generally on a Tuesday there is no nap, because the other 6 days a week she goes down after her lunch for her nap!! Tuesday evenings with  no nap are no fun in this house whatsoever. In some ways when she is back in nursery full time this will be easier as she will be doing the same thing everyday. My 7 mth old is much more flexible and somedays has no nap whatsoever. I do try daily to give her a nap in her cot but she mainly ends up screaming the house down until I relent, but the little scamp somedays will then have 2x2 hr naps.... I find I'm much more relaxed with no 2 but I am religious about our night time routine. So thankfully both of them are pretty good sleepers which is my main aim in life at the moment. x

• Naps are so hard too, the more rested Henry is the better his nights are and the better he eats. I just get into a routine and then it's the school holidays lol