Forum home Babies Weaning

Pork mince recipe help!

Hi all

I've been vegetarian most my life but I'm pretty good at cooking meat.  But I have some pork mince and want to make something for the kids - do I use it like any other mince EG in a lasagne or does anyone else have any other recipes they'd like to share

Replies

• Ive never used pork mince myself but I believe a traditional spag bol should be half and half pork/beef mince. That would be a nice child friendly one. The only thing I would double check is that its not like turkey mince, ie. if you overwork it it continues to break down and you end up with mush. I would like to think this is not the case with pork, but maybe just double check xx

Also I would try homemade sausage rolls. My girls love these add some grated onion and apple. Season with some pepper and wrap in either puff or shortcrust pastry. Big hit in our house although i usually use sausage meat but I would imagine mince would be just as nice.

Good luck x

• You could also make pork meat balls, fry some onion, some finely chopped veg ( a softened carrot will do) mix with the pork and a handful of breadcrumbs. Roll the mixture into small balls, either roll in more breadcrumbs or roll in flour. Fry or oven bake, fry until edges golden brown on a medium heat for approx.15 minutes, bake for approx. 30 minutes on a medium heat. I prefer to bake so I know that the middle of the meatballs are thoroughly cooked. Serve with cheese or tomato sauce and pasta, or give your LO one as finger foods.

Emlowe's sausage roll sounds good too!!

Enjoy! 

• Thanks ladies!

Am loving the sound of the sausage rolls!! Might just give those a go and share some pictures!! And may do the meatballs in the future since my daughter loves meatballs!

And thanks for the tip about turkey mince! I've used it before and prefer the smell whilst cooking than beef mince and know that it's also good for the kids!

• I've got a great recipe for pork mince - a meatloaf. You can cook it in a loaf tin, or if you don't have one just in a oven proof dish. 

Meatloaf

(will serve 8 children - halve the amounts to serve 4) one 2.5cm slice for a child and 2 for an adult should be enough - each meatloaf contains 8 slices. 

Ingredients:

400g pork mince

400g beef mince (or 800g of one type)

a carrot

onion

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tsp dried thyme

celery

75g breadcrumbs

4 tbsp tomato passata

1 egg, beaten

Method: 

Chop the carrots, onion, celery and garlic - sweat in a pan with a little water with the lid on for 8 mins (stir occasionally). Add 1 tsp dried thyme and cook for another 2 mins. Leave to cool. Combine the mince, breadcrumbs, passata and egg then add the cooled veggies. Mix well and then pack into your lined loaf tin or oven proof dish. Cook at 170 for 40 minutes. Slice to serve. 

(for adults: add seasoning, 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce, and 2 tbsp tomato ketchup to the mix instead of passata) 

This is really yummy and a nice easy family meal - also is a good texture as theres no large lumps. image enjoy xxxx

• Hope it helps Mummy swan image I think its yummy and nice and easy! x