Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Food of the month - January

Fish is a great source of Omega 3, iron and vitamin B12. It is recommended that we eat at least three portions per week. Most types of fish can be introduced to your little ones from 6 months of age. obviously be aware that fish has bones so be careful when feeding your LO.

I am desperately trying to get more fish into Annabel's diet (and mine too!). We don't manage to eat the recommended 3 portions a week, but I am aiming to do so!!

Cod, greens and cheese sauce.

You will need:

A piece of frozen cod  (any white fish will do)

A handful of cauliflower and broccoli

250mls of whole milk

two tablespoons of plain flour

a cup of grated cheese (cheddar is our preference)

Boil the vegetables until soft, at the same time place the cod in the microwave or in the steamer (according to packet instructions).  

Gently heat the milk, slowly add the flour as the mixture becomes thickened, stir in the grated cheese and a pinch of pepper to season (I add ceyane pepper too).

Once the sauce is thickened add the drained broccoli and cauliflower, then flake the fish. Place all into on oven dish and cover with grated cheese. Place in the oven on a medium heat for approx 1 minutes until the cheese has crisped.

Serve as a main or with potatoes and extra vegetables. Suitable for stage 2/3 weaning.  

Replies

• Options

Great recipe!

I'm trying to ensure I do at least Monday's and Friday's as fish days for the kids.  My toddler doesn't really like tuna but I made up some tuna with mayo and sweet chilli and gave it to my son who ate it... Suddenly she became interested and tried it! The same with makerel pate the other day!  Love these benefits of having two!

• Options
    Aldi do a massive pack of frozen salmon for ??2.99. Cooks from frozen too in 10 mins tastes lovely.
  • Options

"2.99?! Amazing! Though no Aldi's round here, so annoying (I want nappies from there too!).  Have a Lidi but still a drive.  Makes a difference other supermarkets are £8 for a pack

• Options

Ooh we have an Aldi just up the road…fab - do you know if they do any frozen white fish? I am really not keen on salmon at all - but like all white fish so would love to give Nicola's recipe a go. 

• Options

My little girl loves mackeral pasta salad too... I know its cheating having the tinned fish but it is super easy tasty and I feel still pretty healthy too x

• Options
    Hey Lucy. Yes they do white fish too. Love aldi so cheap. X
  • Options

Oh thanks Deb Tad, I'll definitely grab some next time I go and try out the recipe above! x

• Options

Easy peasy salmon spread

This is such an easy way to get your LO(s) to eat fish, it really is so simple.

You will need one piece of salmon and approx 100 g - 150 g of cream cheese (plain or flavoured with herbs, sweet chilli, pepper etc).

Cook the salmon according to the packet guidelines, (steam, microwave etc), leave to cool slightly. Place the cream cheese and salmon in a bowl, flake the fish and mix with the cream cheese until completely combined together. You can add a squeeze of  lemon juice, orange juice or spices such as black pepper, chilli or coriander depending on babies taste and preference.

This is great served on pita bread, toast, or homemade bread. Can be used as a dip for bread sticks or roasted vegetables, or cucumber slices. Can also be added to mash potato for little ones or spread over a baked potato.

Mummy and Daddy like it on Scottish oat cakes - yum yum.

• Options

Fish cakes.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/2XX1OHo8nfTwMQqunnGU1IcPC4tgn_WN8JBY01kTVESFCR8gFB18lBhVNpf_USEeOAdo_Yrx1pocgDJ9IErxdc2cW0xC68rQCurgaVC0G8UGWn7XiaKsX0s0nQ

For Burns night we celebrated with the traditional meal of haggis, neeps and tatties, of course I made enough neeps and tatties to feed 100 people. So I decided to make some neeps and tatties fish cakes:

You will need:

- leftover mash potato, mashed with either neeps (turnips) or carrots (approx a small bowl full)

-a salmon fillet and a piece of white fish fillet (I used cod)

-bread crumbs (approx 1 cup)

-one egg to bind the mixture

- optional, small vegetables  like peas, sweet corn, spinach or chopped up green beans.

Once you have cooked the fish according to the packet instructions, leave to cool so that you can easily handle it.

Flake the fish in a bowl, mix with the mash potato mix and add additional veg if using. Beat an egg and add slowly to the mixture so it is sticky, you might not need all of the egg.

Make small balls with your hands, then flatten to make a fish cakes - you can make what ever size you feel appropriate for your LO. Coat the fish cakes with the bread crumbs by dipping them in bread crumbs. ( you can also grate some cheddar cheese into the mixture - which is what I usually do when making fish cakes - but we eat a lot of cheese so this time decided not too)

Lightly fry in a frying pan - don’t forget the ingredients are already cooked so this is just to lock them together.

I keep a few in the freezer, defrost in the morning ready to eat by dinner, then place in the oven for about twenty minutes until warmed again.

Yum Yum.