Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Lunch Ideas

Need inspiration please! Lunch time usually consists of toast, cucumber, Dairylea Triangle or cheddar cheese, ham or turkey... Or it can be a quessadilla (warm wrap with any of the above).  My boy doesn't like eggs at the moment but I'm stuck in a lunch rut, anyone want to share some quick and easy lunches? Usually we're just coming in the door at lunchtime so it does need to be quick and finger food please!

Replies

• Tuna Pasta with any veg added in. Baby sweetcorn are a favourite in our house at the moment. And kiddie pasta cooks in under 8 mins so quick and easy.

Tuna sandwiches.

Fish cakes (obviously need to be premade but just warmed in the microwave or oven)

Potato waffles and beans.

Homemade cheese scones with ham. (again need to be premade)

Pittas filled with anything that you like.

Fishfingers and cucumber and cheese sticks.

• Thanks Emlowe! My toddler didn't used to like tuna but after seeing my son eat it she will have it now! So must get that on the shopping list again!!

Like potato waffles idea!!  Beans are good as they count as one of your five a day!!

Do you have a recipe for homemade cheese scones?

• 225g self raising flour

1 tsp baking powder

75g (2o) butter (preferrably unsalted)

50g of grated cheese (I like cheddar personally) more or less depending on how cheesy you want.

approx 150ml (5fl oz) milk

Preheat the oven to 220Celsius & lightly grease a baking sheet. Add the dry ingredients and then cut the butter (soft is better) into cubes and rub the flour and butter together to get breadcrumbs. Add the cheese and mix together. Make a well and start adding the milk. Fold the mixture together and keep adding the milk until the dough is soft but not sticky.

On a floured board roll out to about 2cm thick. Then cut with scone cutters. Bake for approx 12 mins.

These scones are quite dense so are perfect for small hands without them crumbling. Perfect for BLW image

Enjoy x

• A pre made Maccaroni cheese is a favourite in our house. You can also add lots of veg to it. 

Another really quick dish is fish in cheese sauce, either with rice or potatoes. I buy frozen cod piece which only take 6 minutes to cook in the microwave, so whip up a quick cheese sauce whilst waiting for the fish to cook. 

I think that pasta is a winner too, I make a really easy sauce with a can on tomatoes, a spoon of cream cheese and then some veg such as spinach, chopped onions, sweet corn or courgettes. It takes about 10 minutes from start to finish, and you can freeze some of the sauce too. 

I know you said your LO doesn't like eggs, but try omelettes, again you can add loads of fresh veg and you can even take them out with you to eat cold if not at home for lunch. 

• I've started giving Henry toast so will be trying the good old sandwich, as he's been having out dinners from the night before for lunch at the mo.