Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Kiwi's & Sickness

Hi

My son is 9 months and we gave him a little bit of kiwi for the first time.  When we went into him in the morning he was covered in sick (poor thing had slept in it).  We don't think it was a bug as he kept everything down yesterday and wasn't ill at all, could it have been the kiwi that made him ill?  He also had some pork faggots for the first time but these weren't too fatty so I don't think it would have been these.  His sister ate the same but was fine... I just wondered if anyone else has experienced a similar reaction?

Replies

• Options

He may just have picked up a little tummy bug. Poor thing is he ok in himself now? I would imagine if it was reaction to the kiwi you would have noticed hives/swelling/redness or rash within about 10 minutes of him eating them.

Poor wee man I hope hes feeling better now x

• Options

That's whats so confusing, it was so much later on.  He's been ok thanks and was ok yesterday just that his skin is so raw now from the acid "burn" and keeps scratching at the best of times.  Will maybe try kiwi at lunch next time to see whether he's ok with it.

• Options

How did he get on with kiwis again?? Any more reactions? x

• Options

I've been too worried to try it again! I'm sure he'll be ok but don't want to have to deal with sickness! May give a little over the weekend and see... But maybe not!

• Options

I've never given my LO kiwis, but I hadn't even tried and avocado until I started weaning Annabel and gave her one. I grew up on pears and apples - simple fruits, none of these 'fancy fruits' as my Dad would say, ha ha! 

It doesn't sound like a typical allergic reaction, maybe he had just eaten too much or went to bed on a full tummy? I suppose the main thing is he wasn't distressed or ill. Saying that, the first few times I tried my Lo on weetabix she threw up, come to think of it she threw up last week after eating them too (but hadn't for a long while). Some foods just don't agree with you. 

• Options

I think it maybe an acidity problem.  He had kiwi again and was sick, has been sick with orange and grapes.  So I think anything with too much acidity is the problem.

The doctor said to just keep reintroducing every so often but it's not very nice for him.