Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

milk allergy what foods?

Hi there, my nephew is 9 months old & is allergic to formula milk & any solid foods that contain milk.what foods can my nephew eat as my sis in law is struggling what to give him.hes only drinking breast milk.so far shes found milk free rusks & an orange. Many thanks

Replies

• Hi

Has it been diagnosed by the doctor? They should be able to prescribe formula for him? It would probably be best to try and make as many meals from scratch as possible as like you say so many foods that contain milk.  He should be able to still have a varied diet without milk.  And I think the the "free from" aisles have quite a lot more foods these days.

We're getting our son tested soon as I think he might have an intolerance to milk as he has quite bad eczema so if I get more help from the doctors I'll update you!

• Hi kimbo, 

Try tomoto based meals, make a tomato sauce by reducing a tin of tomatoes with some fried red onions (can easily add any veg- slice carrots, broccoli or courgette) and a sprinkle of garlic and basil. This sauce can be added to tuna and pasta, just pasta, in a piece of baked fish, added to some mash potatoes. 

I make a homemade hummus with either  chickpeas, or butter beans ( am going to try broadbeans this week) I give this to Annabel on toast, pitta bread or even with sweet potato wedges or on a baked potato. 

Lots of food can be made without milk, vegetable and meat purees, rice/pasta based dishes. It just takes a bit of time to discover what is quick and simple to make thAt your nephew will enjoy. 

Have a look at our receipe exchange thread in General Weaning. You will get some good ideas from there. Once he has had allergy testing you will know more about what you can and can't give. 

Keep us up dated. X x 

• Hiya nicola, thank you so much for your reply. Im very grateful.much appreciated. I will message my sis in law with your advice.i feel 4u lots.my daughter was really sensitive to formula.she would break out in hives.i ended up getting formula from the doc.she eventually out grew her allergy & took to cow & gate.hope all went well you & your son. Kind regards kimbo
  • Kimbo, 

I found this, your sister in law might be interested: 

http://www.babyexpert.com/forum/expert-qandas-and-webchats/expert-qanda-on-cows-milk-allergy-with-dietician-sasha-watkins/193777.html

It's from babyexpert.com 

With a bit of practice and getting use to it your Sister in law will be making fantastic milk-free meals. Best of luck. 

•  Just another thought Kimbo, you can make porridge or cereals without milk. Weetabix can be mixed with water or even orange juice. porridge can be also mixed with water and perhaps thickened with a fruit puree or even fruit pieces.

• Soya is an alternative too. My son has a cows milk intolerance but is fine with soya on his cereal. There are loads of prepared foods that he can have and the labeling is great. I try and make cows milk free evening meals for the family, and the freeze some for Henry too x x