Forum home Babies Weaning

Food Diary

I like to be organised, and I have found keeping a milk/toileting and now food diary for Bert really helpful. Not only did it help me unbelievably in the beginning when I was shattered and my memory was rubbish (I would never have remembered what time he'd last fed/had his nappy changed). But it has also been brilliant for seeing his patterns, and how he has got himself into a routine. It's also great for keeping an eye on his digestion (poos especially) and noticing any changes. 

We use a little mini notebook (we're on book 3 after nearly 6 months) and we've kept the full diaries in his memory box as we think it'll be fun to look back at. We keep a biro pushed inside the spiral bind, and the book goes with us wherever we go in the front pocket of the baby bag. I will definitely do this again if I have another child - and might even try next time to keep track of sleeps too, as we haven't this time with Bert (although he sleeps absolutely fine) but I think out of interest I'd like to be able to look back over his sleeping history. 

We basically write the date at the top and then list feeds in the top column of the page, and toileting at the bottom - a typical day will look like this:

Tuesday 17th February

9.00 160ml

10:25am baby porridge with apple/pear puree

12:45pm 200ml

1:10pm swede, pea and potato puree

4pm 200ml

7pm 200ml

11:40pm 200ml 

9.15am wet

1.20pm dirty

4.15pm wet

8pm wet

11.50pm wet

My husband writes a funny baby blog called Child, Man-Child (http://www.childmanchild.blogspot.co.uk) and in one of his posts he used all the info in the baby's first full diary and did data analysis on it - hahah! Men! How funny - it was interesting reading though! 

Do any of you keep a similar record/diary?

Lucy x

Replies

• I write a blog too (swan-project.blogspot.co.uk) and think I've read your husbands post! 

Im organised but not as much as you! This is amazing and trust me will be brilliant when number 2 comes along because trust me you forget things that you thought it was never possible to forget! and you can compare etc! We kept details for first few days and rest was it!

• My sister does this for her breastfeeds. She writes the time, which side she used and for how long. She also has a similar sounding little note pad and pen set up. She would've been lost without it as shes so forgetful... xx

• Yeah I genuinely would be lost without it too! It's been so helpful for us - and yes, Mummy Swan it will definitely come into its own when we've got another and will be great to compare. Hubby loves it for the stats! image 

Emlowe, I imagine its a really handy tool for BF as to which sides you've fed from etc - glad its working for your sister. 

x