Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When do you add juice to your toddlers diet?

This might seem like a really silly question but I was wondering at what point you add juice into your little ones diet? Does it actually have any nutritional benefits or do you give it just to encourage your LO to take fluids. Annabel drinks water with every meal and often takes sips in between meals. I love Vimto and occasionally she grabs at my glass so I let her take some sips. But never a full cups worth. Anyway thought I would ask as was looking at the baby juice in the supermarket and was wondering what others thought/did. Thanks so

Replies

• It's not something I've really bothered with yet. My daughter is 2 & she happily drinks water or milk with her meals. She's had the occasional drink of our squash, milkshake or fizzy drink but hasn't had her own cup of it yet. I remember going to a dentist talk with our weaning group & them saying how much sugar there is & how it's better to eat the whole fruit. I also won't bother with baby juices, a lot of baby products are just there to make money, I believe (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong) that normal juice is just as good maybe even better, although you do obviously have to dilute it a lot.

• I didn't allow my eldest juice until after her first birthday. It was something I was slow to introduce as I knew it would be all then that she would want to drink and I was worried about her teeth. She is now allowed juice after her lunch but has water until about 1 every day. She does ask for it in the morning but I refuse to give in on this. She however loves drinking water from her daddys sport bottle and when shes in nursery shes not allowed juice at all so she gets water all day.

• Henry has milk or juice. He hates water and will not touch it. I can't see it's going to do them any harm.
  • My little boy isn't really keen on water, he's only have sips of it. I give him very diluted s and he loves it x