Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weaning and reflux

My little girl is 5months old and has been on Zantac and gavasicon since 3weeks old with reflux which has had it's ups and downs but have coped and she's such a happy baby. Decided to try her on sum baby food (rice and custard) as she seemed to b wanting more bottle and she's really enjoying the food until about an hour or so later becomes really screamy, sick and the only things that will settle her is more bottle (even thou on 8oz) or standing up with her which is when her reflux is bad she does the same starting to feel useless and not sure weather to keep goin with the food or stop for another month any thoughts would b really helpful :-/

Replies

• Could your health visitor help you on this one? I'm afraid I have no experience of reflux but I did understand that it was supposed to get much better with weaning. Have you tried some sweet potato or plan potato mashed. They are both filling and unlikely to cause an upset. I'm sorry your little girl is struggling with this but fingers crossed its just a stage and she'll be loving all food soon enough x

• Emily now 4 had awful reflux that cleared up once she was off the milk. Definately try sweet pot carrots etc. but stay away from parsnip, I learnt the hard way that this innocent veg is a killer for our Lo. Gripe water always helped too.
  • My friend had a very similar experience but once her daughter got onto more solid food her reflux gradually cleared up.  It would be worth speaking to your health visitor or doctor just to ask their advice about it.  Perhaps try her with "solid" food from 6 months such as rice cakes, bread, pasta etc as the chewing might help rather than just having soft food?

Good luck x

• Thanks for ur comments Lilly is still enjoying most foods n does lyk her potato but doesn't seem to b helping with the sickness plus the hospital have put up her Zantac she has got a lot worse with the sick health visitor said I've not to give her food till she's 6months and try extra hungry milk and to tell them when at hospital but that's not for another 3months. It's just so annoying cause she's soo into her food and her milk just wish the sickness would go
  • They told me to try hungry milk and sma do a stay down milk. Nothing worked. Go with what you think, you know your baby best. The good news is she will grow out of it just takes time. X
  • Yeah I have always used sma normal and always asked if I should change it to the reflux one or even change the brand but they just keep telling me not to I think I should have changed it ages ago but as a first tym mum u kind of think they know best but I've learned mum Defo knows better not sure if it's to late to change milk brand or not thou would u c a difference straight away ?? Am sure it would b different if she wasent such a happy little girl even while being sick she still has a smile and laughing and has always slept great am Defo pretty lucky Thanks x
  • Ah bless her. I've had to change Henry's milk (8 months) due to a cows milk intolerance and he's ok. So I don't think it will hurt to try especially if it helps x x