Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Wonderful world of weaning now not so wonderful!!

Annabel (now 13 months) has always been a baby who loved everything we fed her. She was always the baby who ate everything, curry, chilli, plain food, spicy food, meat, vegetables you name it and she would eat it. For about the past 3 weeks, she has suddenly become so fussy, she throws her food on the floor, spits it out, plays with it and pushes it away. 

Ahhhgggggg!!! it is driving me mad, not only is the floor constantly covered in food, but I really hate all the waste. I am ending up making 2 meals per every meal as if she won't eat what I've original planned then I need to have a back up plan. 

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Do you think it is just a phase?? I really, really hope so as its driving me mad!!

Replies

• Parenthood mantra "it's just a phase" 13-15 months is tricky because they are starting to really know what they want and don't want as well as just experimenting with saying no etc to see what reactions they get.

My daughter (now 2) has been very similar and has been through two phases like this.  If it is something I know she likes then I don't offer her anything else.  Sometimes she'll eat it eventually after a long time, other times she'll simply get down from the table.  If it's dinner it feels hard not giving her anything but I will make sure she has a big milk pre bed.  It's tough and you feel bad but sometimes you have to be tough to try and help the longer term.  Once she missed one dinner (ate breakfast) and missed lunch.  I think she was then hungry by dinner that she ate it all no fuss! And she snapped out of it! Other times she's done it and missed one meal or has been persuaded with yogurt coming after to eat enough of her dinner to make me happy. 

She once refused to try a new food which was also very annoying but now I try and make sure that she has new foods in a "non fussy" phase to give the best chance of her eating it and also give it to her brother because he's still not fussy at the moment and if he eats it she usually will.

Good luck, it is so frustrating and hard work.  We had a month or so (ending about 6 weeks ago) phase where dinner was hard work.  Took us ages to get her to eat then she would drop her forks at the table, it drove me mad.  At the moment we've come through this and it's a breeze... Until the next phase! Welcome to toddlerhood!x

• I agree with Mummy Swan. Don't offer her an alternative. Is she always knows something else will be offered then why should she eat first choice... She will never starve herself and when she is hungry she will eat. I do agree though go with the foods that you knew she used to like.

As an aside by any chance is she teething and thats the problem? My 22 mth old used to go off some foods when her gums were at her. It could go on for weeks sometime and was a pain in the bum, but I just persevered. Also I never make a fuss if she doesn't eat, because I don't want meal times to be an issue and for her to a bad association with it. If she is refusing to eat I ask her is she finished and if she says yes or nods I let her down. Most times she is back looking for her dinner within 10 mins.

Good Luck and Be strong xx

The joys of Motherhood hey!!

• Thanks ladies, things are getting a little bit easier. I think Annabel was teething, but also at nursery she refuses to be fed and eats all her meals with her hands. I think she was becoming a bit frustrated as at home I was still feeding and her not letting her eat everything with her own hands (noodles, spagetti, fish you name it she just picks it up and gobbles according to nursery).  

I like the advice about not offering her alternatives, it is easy to become worried about how much she eats but actually your right it will equal itself out. I suppose if she gets use to having alternatives offered all the time, she will play up all the time. 

I think the toddler phase is all about working through frustrations, ours and their's. Annabel is becoming so independent, she just wants to do everything herself! Including feeding! 

• That sounds so familiar!!  When the independent streak starts they want to do everything themselves!  Whilst she isn't feeding herself with a fork then I guess it's ok for her to do it by herself to avoid frustration.

It can be hard not offering alternatives but if you stick to it then you both know where you stand.

Hope the teeth have come through now?  They can be to blame for everything!!

• I have started to give Annabel a fork and loads it with food, this is working really well as she feels she is in control!! I am going to have one very independent, head strong little lady on my hands!! 

• Ahh sounds like it was her teeth and frustration. Figuring out what is wrong can be the real battle most of the time I find. Hopefully she is fully back to eating all your lovely food and that your floor is not seeing so much of it!!

• Hi, Annabel has again been fussy with her food. She use to absolutely love bananas, she had one virtually everyday (sometimes a whole one), now she is refusing them point blank!! She spits them out or throws them on the floor - very frustrating, but as they say 'it is just a phase' lol  

• I've just been chatting to some other mummy's about kids behaviour. And their once angel of a child is now a demon.

I think it's just children finding their own feel, shes working out how to get a reaction with what she's doing, she doesn't really know what's she doing or why she is.

X x
  • Its like Deb said they are finding their feet and pushing boundaries. These little ones like to test us regularly in lots of different ways. Consistency is key so I keep being told by my friends with older kids and to be fair it works for us again generally after a few days.

• Yep sounds like she is trying to be in control like all toddlers!  I gave mine beef ragu from Ella's kitchen because I knew she liked it and wouldn't eat it.  So she didn't get anything else. Two weeks later gave it again (albeit a bit nervous) and she ate two portions!  So really didn't have anything to do with her taste buds but just being fussy.

If you ate a banana would she want it?  Often if you don't offer to them then it becomes temptation and they want a part of it!