Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When To Start Giving Water with Meals?

Hi, I just wondered when it is advised to give water with a meal - Bert is 7 months and we haven't started yet - I do have a zippy cup ready, or could give him a bottle with water but just wondered if its necessary yet? He's not feeding himself or holding his bottle yet and he's still on 4-5 milk feeds a day. 

Thanks

Lucy x

Replies

• I started giving water with meals as soon as I started weaning. I have to hold the sippy cup but he loves his drink, he drinks about half a cup of water a day some with each of his meals. Started. Weaning one meal a day at 21 weeks
  • I'm definitely going to start Bert with his sippy cup today then - like you said, even if I hold it for him, it will be good for him to get used to having water with meals. 

• Annabel started to have water at about 9-10 months. She was breast fed and the HV had always said that she shouldn't need water until then. Now at 13 months she has water all through the day in a tippee cup and just one bottle of milk feed at bedtime. Occasionally I give her milk in her cup but she much prefers water.

• Thanks Nicola - I did think it was about 9-10 months when they probably need to start drinking more - Bert is only 7 months and is having 4-5 milk feeds (formula) a day - so I'm pretty sure its not necessary yet. I let him have little sips from his sippy cup today (I had to hold it for him) and he had a few mouthfuls, I'm sure it won't do him any harm. I feel a bit more relaxed to have a drink on hand for him when giving him finger food at lunch time - but don't think he'll need any at any other parts of the day. image

• Henry (9 months) hates water. So had to add a little juice to his sippy cup. I give him a couple of sips every meal. I do let him try himself but he gets soaked!
  • Hahaha yeah I've tried Bert a few times with his sippy cup - and he just spits it out. I think I'll leave it for now, and I try again when he's bigger and more ready for it. 

• I've also tried the doody cup. It's great to just get them to learn how to drink straight for a cup. It can be used with breast fed babies very early on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000RBE6Q6?pc_redir=1395852352&robot_redir=1
  • Ok, that link doesn't work. And the auto correct changed the spelling. It's called doidy cup.
  • Hi DebTad - thanks so much for the recommendation - I love the look of the doidy cup so have just ordered one image When did you start using one with yours? 

Thanks 

Lucy x

• From 6 months when I started weaning him. He hasn't mastered holding it yet but drinks well from it. X
  • Hi DebTad - thanks! I've given Bert a little try with the doidy cup and I think he will get the hang of it - I'll definitely press on with it - I like the idea of him learning to drink from a cup instead of a tippy cup all the time. 

• That's brilliant. It's def helped Henry too x
  • I started offering water when I started weaning at 6 months. It took a few months to be able to do it independently but we always tried to only offer the water in a open cup at meal times to get her used to using it. Initially she didn't drink much (also breast fed) but gradually over time she started to drink more.

• We started with sippy cups as soon as we started weaning. Harlowe gets soaked at most mealtimes but she loves her water. I've heard great things about the Doidy cup too although was never brave enough to try it myself.

• Henry's great at gulping out of it now, although he won't hold it himself. Doesn't hold his bottles either, lazy little man x
  • Men huh!! Love having us women do everything image

• I think that is it love him x
  • Aww cute - Bert is getting the hang of drinking from a cup - i only put a tiny bit in, as he tends to spit it out and drop a bit, but he's especially interested in mugs/glasses/bottles that I'm drinking from, and I let him have a little try of my drinks (I only drink water and decaff tea at home) straight from my mug/glass/bottle and he loves it. I like the idea of getting him used to drinking from "adult" cups etc rather than bottles and sippy cups for ages - we'll see how he gets on over the next few months.

• My 2 year old still isn't drinking from cups independently. I didn't realise this was strange till she went to a bday party the other day and all her peers were drinking out of normal cups so that is the next job in this house!! I will start this much earlier with my 10 mth old. 

• Emily (4) can drink from a cup but does spill it sometimes. So do her friends. She still likes to use the cups with straws, so wouldn't worry too much x