Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help

Hi can anyone give he advice I'm a first time mum of a little girl who is four months and I've had her weighed and she is below her average weight I'm getting four bottles down her and she is on 7oz and some times she will leave 3oz she was on sma comfort bug I've changed it to cow and gate and today I got 5 bottles down her today and made 5oz and she drank them is there anything else I can do or anyone recommed 

thanks 

KellyKelly

Replies

• She doesn't drink all that much eh? Does she get water at all? I would definitely limit that. Maybe try offering her a bottle before she cries for it and seeing if she will take it, get her used to drinking bottles more regular. Did yr health visitor not offer any tips? Sorry I cnt be very helpful my lo's were overly hungry babies Xx
  • my eldest was a nightmare!! she wouldnt drink much at all. she was always "underweight" she wouldnt breast feed. id have to wake her to feed ans she would go "too long" without a bottle. i was forever stressed about it she was the same when she weaned she would eat anything but only small amounts.i was shunnted between doctor health visitor and peadiatrition. she was always active and well but they were obsessed with her weight. as she got older she would only eat what she needed and would never over eat. at 2 years she would hand me back 4 chocolate buttons for another day just because she was full. she is now a healthy 10 year old who is very active but still slim.

i guess my point is dont stress to much if shes healthy and happy chances are she is fine.

• You could substitute a bottle for a meal i suppose. Mine were hungry babies so i gave them three milk bottles and a meal, doesn't matter what meal. They had a 7oz bottle for breakfast, a yogurt and bottle for lunch, dinner and water, another 7oz bottle around six and then a bottle before bed. And they were around four/five months.
  • Sorry lunch was yogurt and baby juice not milk.
  • Hi Kelly,

Try not to worry and try not to try any fads like hungry milk the research suggests they are not that useful. I would suggest that you see your HV and make a feeding plan, write a dairy of feeding times, poos, wet nappies etc and take it with you to the HV. You could also try going to a local milk-spot where you could talk to the midwifes about feeding.

Is your baby settled at night? Is she settling after food? If so she might just not be hungry, but I think you need to get some professional input both for baby and for your peace of mind.

Let us know how you get on.

x