Forum home Babies Weaning

My Baby is coming up to 6months, I'm so confused!!

Hello there, I'm new to this but I just thought i'd give it a try as my head is baffled by all of this weaning stuff image

my baby boy will be 6months on Sunday and for a couple of weeks now I've been trying him with a cube of veg around tea time. He loves it, I've read books about different veg to try and done that, he's had a wide range. Just unsure what to do now, do I introduce breakfast? Or another meal? 

He currently has 8oz milk every 4hours but sleeps through from 8-6 so misses 2 bottles a day. So do I begin to cut his milk down and offer more food? 

Any advise or a routine to follow would be appreciated, he is my first baby so I have no idea at all image 

thank you xx

Replies

• Totally get what you're saying - it's all so confusing!

Right, rough guide is this - Milk is still your babies main food source - weaning is about introducing how to chew, swallow, textures, and then is gradually becomes three meals a day.

Always offer milk for breakfast - think you then introduce lunch - so a couple of cubes of sweet potato or squash... then offer milk after.

Once lunch is established, introduce dinner/tea - so if he goes down at 8pm, maybe offer some fingers of toast, or more puree veggies at 5pm.

Just go with what you baby wants - if he's cleaning it up, let him go for it! As ong as he has a good bottle in the morn and eve and maybe a small one at lunchtim, you'll be fine!

Also, i found the Annabel Karmel weaning book really helpful - made a few dishes from there (this sweet pot/lentil thing) my baby loved. Get a second hand one on amazon or something!

• That's brill thank you ???? I've been looking in the Ella'a kitchen weaning to big table book but I'll give that one a go. 

So would you not bother with breakfast then? Just a good bottle.

• I'd give a good bottle at 7am or when he wakes. Then maybe a little while before his morning nap, give him a little breakfast - porridge, weetabix, anything mushy. Try it, why not! Can't do any harm, and he gets to try cow milk or you can just use formula or breast milk too!

You could even give yogurt.

• hi huni my boy is also 6 months old,

he only takes a 6oz bottle as he cant manage any more than that, but his also being weaned.

he has either baby rice or poridge or a fruit pot at breakfast and his bottle, lunch time he has veg and a bottle and dinner time he has his baby meal and his bottle.

then a bottle before bed.

its all new to me as well my 1st would eat every thing and any thing but my little man is very different and cant manage a lot of stuff xx

• hi hun,

my daughter wakes up at 6am and has 4oz then finishes off her sleep till 8am and i just introduced my daughter to baby porridge mixed with her formula for a breakfast, then she has a whole 8oz bottle at lunch time, at tea time she has a couple of tablespoons of what everyone is having for tea that day blended and a bit of fruit blended then has another 8oz bottle before bed at 8pm and sleeps all the way through ????

I also bought the Ella's kitchen cook books but found she tried to grab our plates and refused her food as it smelt different ha ha