Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cows milk protein allergy and weaning.

Hello ladies.  I'm in need of advice. I'm starting weaning early. I'm hoping to start in the next 2 weeks. But want to get all the advice needed first.  And also want to get prepared and stock up.  My little one is 19 weeks old. She has a cows milk protein allergy. 

She's currently on similac alimentum.

I have had a look in the shops while doing my own shopping.  And the baby rice says contains cows milk". Or traces. Or.. "doesn't contain cows milk but was made in a factory with products containing cows milk"

ImI'm in need of advice from others in same situation or who have been through this. I would be very thankful. Thank you mum's :) xxx

Replies

• Hi we are in similar situation but are breastfeeding exclusively at the moment we were initially topping up with formula when he was few weeks old and tried aptamil pepti and neocate which he dislikes. I am on a diary free diet.

I have found it is a bit of trial and error for some products. I couldn't find a baby rice product that didn't upset his bowel. He liked baby rice with milk. I tried aptamil but there is an ella kitchen range with carrot itt is diary free but we have used twice and moved on to other cereals. Cow and Gate also have some diary free range but states may contain traces just started him on cow and gate tropical fruits cereal and monitoring his skin and bowel. Organix also have some their banana and plum porridge. 

Here is a good list to start with https://livingwithcowsmilkproteinallergy.com/20-dairy-free-weaning-recipes-purees/ and would recommend joining the cmpa and weaning support groups on facebook. I recently found some info on diary free yoghurts. 

We are due to see the dietician in a few weeks can share any more information after our appointment.

• Hi, abit late but how is your weaning going?

my lb has cmpa and is now 9.5 months and gets on great with food, hes on soya formula, he was ebf until 6 months then went onto the soya. he does may may contain cereals and he is ok with this, everything else is just veg, meat and fruit. I use dairy free butter, but don't replace yoghurt or cheese with alternatives, as they are mostly soya alternatives and as he is already on soya milk, i don't want him having too much soya. 

we have our nest appointment with a dietician just before he's one to start the milk ladder.

if you have any questions feel free to ask x

• Thank you so much both. 

Fludu I'm so glad you mentioned the aptamil I've bought the organic start weaning one. And she's been having it for 2 days. But she didn't seem to fussy with it. I went on to ella kitchens range of fruit as they didn't contain milk also. And also she's had a try of organic banana and rice. Which she loved!!! I'm so happy she's taking to it.

Thanktou gaeaf I had a look for rusks. And have came across one that says doesn't contain milk but was made in a factory with other milk products so I'm a bit weary of that but I will be giving it a go and monitoring twards the end of the week. I'm guessing they just have to state that just as a precaution.

I came across a "milk introducing ladder" which shows when I'll be starting to add cows milk dairy things into her diet. And my health visitor has says she'll be on her similar alimentum milk until 1 years of age. 

It's just a pain that they won't discuss weaning until closer to 6 months. 

Once again thank you very much both :) 

Xxx

• we started weaning at 5 months because my son wasn't putting on weight, but with food and I think going onto formula he is now ok weight wise. I think our dietician appointment was nearly 6 months but honestly they only really give a leaflet with the different words to look out for. 

There are so many alternatives now that I think can go relatively ok, ive even heard that you can get dairy free advent calendar, maybe your lo might be too young for that.  We seem to be ok with may contain, but I think they have to put that even if made in same factory etc and we are ok with soya, some babies with milk allergy are allergic to soya aswell. 

I just mainly gave food the same as normal recipes, or what we eat, just avoid the cheesy recipes x

• Hi, my 10 month old has a milk protein allergy and I've really struggled with Weaning so asked my dr to refer him to a paediatric dietician. The ones I saw at my hospital was brilliant, she went through everything with me and has really helped with the weaning journey. we have started to re-introduce stuff from the milk ladder but didn't do well with the first item which was malted milk biscuits so we have to wait 3 months and try again. Might be worth seeing if your little one could be referred to the paediatric dietician for the best advice. My son also has a salycitate allergy  makes things doubly hard, but we plod on 😊 Xx

• Hi my 8 month old is on neocate and we are weaning dairy and soya free. She seems to be ok with may contains which is good, we've been giving her cow and gate tropical porridge for breakfast and then have been giving her vegetables and fruit for lunch and dinner. Over the last week I've given her some jam on dairy free toast which she seems to like, with dairy free margarine. If we're out and about we have been using some ella's kitchen or organix packets that we checked have no dairy in them. We'll be starting the milk ladder soon which I'm quite scared about but something we'll have to do.

Good luck with your weaning!

I have found the cmpa support group on fb very handy. X

• Hi 

my son has both dairy and wheat allergy and at the beginning it's so hard to find alternatives. 

At the beginning I used the Ella's kitchen fruit pouches. You could also get kallo's rice puffs and use her normal milk that she drinks with it. Now that my son is over 1 I use soya milk with the rice puffs.

Also a butter or margarine alternative is sunflower oil margarine which doesn't contain any dairy.

kiddylicious snack range is great for dairy free alternatives.

i have also found dairy free cheese sauce from Morrisons, youngs do a dairy and wheat free fish fingers.

• Just wondering how everyone's weaning is going with cmpa?

my son is now 1, and other than normal fussy eating habits is doing well. We have tried the milk ladder but he started with a reaction so stopped straight away but will try and in a month or so.

x

• Hello ladies, my little one is coming up to 8 months old, she's doing great with weaning, only having pouches and mashed veg, weetabix etc, we have tried her with yoghurt this past week. Every night. And so far so good. No reactions touch wood!

Xxx

• Hi everyone, we were hoping you might be able to help a new mum who's daughter has Cow's Milk Protein allergy and is just embarking on weaning - her thread is here and we think she'd be so grateful for any advice you might have for her. Thanks so much.