Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Very fussy eater!!

Please help.... My 9 and a half month old daughter started refusing her savoury meals about 6 weeks ago after previously doing really well and having three meals per day. She now refuses to open her mouth and screams and cries if i try to feed her. If by a miracle she opens her mouth she spits it straight back out. I was getting away with doing one spoonful of fruit followed by savoury until she started refusing her fruit/yogurts too. I give her finger foods but she doesn't really bother with the savoury (Carrott sticks, sweetcorn, peas, toast, fish, cheese etc etc). The only things she will try are bread sticks and crackers. She will eat cereal, fruit, yogurt, Fromage frais without a problem. She's also taking 3 bottles per day (two 8oz and one 6oz). I've also been trying to get her to drink water for the past 15 weeks without much success!!!! I'm a very frustrated and worried mummy! X

Replies

• Hi,

Don't worry about it too much. She is only 9 months old which means she drinks plenty of milk and gets most nutrients from it. It's important to start introducing new flavours now but don't worry if she doesn't seem to be into new food - I've read somewhere that it takes about 15 tries for babies to get used to the taste of new food (so keep persevering;- ) Have you looked into baby-led weaning. Look it up if you haven't already. I would advise to put little chunks of food before her and let her try it. Sometimes trying to feed them actually works against you as they like to explore themselves. 

Good Luck (and again, don't worry if she's drinking enough milk and not too skinny it's fine)

Irene image

• I agree with babydino, my 8 month old is exactly the same. I became paranoid about him only liking sweet things. In the end I stopped worrying, made sure I didn't give him anything too sweet, and just kept trying. Eventually grated mild cheddar wasthe first thing he began to like, then I added some grated carrot to it, which worked. you will get there in the end, they can run rings around us even at such a young age.