Forum home Babies Weaning

Has anyone tried 'child-led' weaning?

My cousin has started this with hers and is now its biggest advocate. If I'm right, the basic idea is to put all different foods down for the little one to pick as they like, so you don't give them food, but just put it near them.

Has anyone else tried it?

Replies

• Yes, I have tried it. On the first day we also did the same thing, putting some kind of foods, when let her pick what she likes and it was so fun, we end up so much mess that day because I forgot to wear her a bib, which is bad because has some spells at her hair and neck. But now that she consistently wears bib, the overall meal is not so messy at all. I enjoy watching my baby picking up food and put it in her mouth, it's so cute. imageimage

• Hi,

I did it with my younest and yes I am quite evangelical about it now (I don't mind admitting that, I didn't do it with my first so have different exepriences), he is 2 now so I have seen how well it can work, blw has long term benefits, like someone mentioned they seem to be less fussy, maybe this is because they feed themselves from early on, eat the same foods as us at the same time, try and wide range of food.

Some babies eat loads right away and others it takes a little longer, they don't know what food is at first so for some it can be around 9 months before they start purposefully eating food.

Many more mums are getting closer to 6 months to start weaning, I have noticed this over the last few years and there are more and more doing baby led weaning, so much so that they are adding it to weaning talks and asking bfn people to do talks to mums alongside the weaning talks.

I personally wouldn't use a guide on a baby food manufacturer's site as they want us to keep spoon feeding, they would loose billions if all mums waited till 6 months and then started babies on family foods!
    Jennifer Morrow

• I'm currently weaning my second using both jars are finger food. Elliot is seven months on 1st July, we started on 1st June and apart from the occasional scary gag moment he is doing great and he just loves all food so far! It's a messy job yes, but if you cope with mushed up half chewed banana chunks and crushed rusk then I think it's brilliant!

my first son (two and a half now) was weaned on this method so successfully that when he stared nursery at 9 months they were shocked he could eat the toddler version of the meals with just help sometimes with cutting meat /chasing the last peas round the table. 

If you have the time and patience I say go for it! But keep jars in the cupboard for when time is short!

• Just read my post ! I meant 7 months on first of august. Silly baby brain :-)