Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When did you first start weaning?

Hi guys, just wondering when everyone started weaning. What did you try first and how did LO cope. 

Replies

• Hi!

I started weaning my wee boy at 18 weeks. Health visitors etc. try and push 6 months so much but I felt that I wanted to do it as a very gradual process to allow him to get used to different tastes and textures before he actually "needed" food. He was also really interested in what me and hubby were eating and would open his mouth and try to grab our food so I felt he was ready. For the first couple of weeks he only had a spoon or two and I wasn't sure he was swallowing much so was going to stop but then he started really enjoying it and wanting more. He will be 6 months old on Monday (already ahhh😟!) and he's currently having 2 meals a day and loving food. We started with baby rice (because I broke my mini blender the first day we'd planned to give him carrot😁) then he had carrot and other veggies before introducing some fruits the 2nd/3rd week and then I would alternate fruit/veg different days. After a few weeks I started mixing flavours together but am now trying to give him a combo of mixed fruit/veg and seperate so that he gets used to the individual flavours in hopes he will continue to eat them!

Hope that's a bit of help. Any questions let me know :) x