Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Am i overeacting or is it mothers intuition?

I think Amber is having a reaction to the oats that she's been on for 13 days the symptoms sound really minor but i've seen it with her before and am really quite sure it means she can't tolerate it.

The main thing is her not sleeping during the day, this has been going on for 2 days and is always the first symptom today she got up at 6 and has literally had a 20min nap in her pram, she looks exhausted and keeps trying to sleep but will suddenly scream and thrash her legs around this has become increasingly bad this afternoon.

She is poohing about 3times a day and it's becoming looser (sorry too much info)and her bottom is now getting sore.

I don't think i can carry on giving her the oats because i feel so much guilt when she gets particularly bad

Sorry had to get it off my chest, feeling really panicky

Replies

• Options
    Hi Tasha,

I think you need to trust your instinct. You know she suffers with tolerating foods so if your seeing a pattern developing then I think you should act upon it. Don't blame yourself though it's not your fault if you don't try her on things you won't find out what's ok for her. Put plenty of sudocrem on her bum and the soreness will go in no time, a warm bath before bedtime may help any tummy ache she may have. Hope things improve quickly for you.

Take care, Zoe x
  • Options
    Hi Tasha,
    So sorry to hear about Amber, i agree with Zoe trust your instict you know the signs. I really hope she will grow out of it. Try giving her a warm bath with johnsons lavendar bubble bath, it seems to really calm Jessica down.

Sorry can't be more help
    Simone x x
  • Options
    Hi Tasha
    I agree with Boo, you need to see your doctor asap!!
  • Options
    Hi Tasha,

Def take her to docs again as the others have said, and don't feel like you're overreacting, I am a children's theatre nurse and if there is one thing we def listen to it's how mums think their child is as most of the time they are right

Takecare
    Love jd_mummy xx
  • Options
    Hi Tasha,

Just wondered how Amber is today. Did you have a better night with her last night? Hope so.

Zoe x
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Thankyou so much for your advice you gave me the confidence not to feel like a fussy mum and seek help!
    I rang the hospital where Amber was seen 2weeks ago and they were lovely and understanding they have arranged for the consultant to call me tomorrow morning

She actually seems a bit happier in herself today and wasn't too bad overnight i think she was exhausted but she's still not managing to sleep and seems in pain every now and again.

My hubby wanted me to carry on giving her oats as he feels (and he may be right) that the doctor may not recognise it as a reaction and we needed her to be worse for them to take it seriously. i told him that was ok if he wanted to be the one to feed her as there was no way i was doing it!!! Needless to say we've taken her off solids for the time being!

Will let you all know what the doctor says tomorrow thanks again!! Tasha xxx
  • Options
    Good luck let us know how you get on!
  • Options
    Hi everyone
    Just to fill you in the consultant rung (on time - quite impressive) and was SO understanding! She says the results aren't in yet as since finding out Amber was struggling again she's ordered more tests.

she said that in her opinion Amber is type A (?) Lactose intollerant, Dairy Allergic and has complex food intollerances not sure what it all meant but she seemed to be taking it more seriously now. She has referred us to a dietician and we will still see her in the next couple of weeks.

If Amber is still unable to eat at 8months they are going to give her vitamins which has relieved one of my worries. She actually said ' don't worry, we will be with you until this is sorted'!! that's such a relief.
    From next week we are trying Amber on pear mixed with soya so will see how that goes.

By the way she has said she soon wants to try Amber on Veal and gillan looked on internet which backed up that it's great for children with intollerances, was surprised as had read whats been said here about beef.
    Thanks all for your support xx
  • Options
    Hi Tasha,
    Thats great news, finally taking you seriously!! It must be a relief to know that you are going to have some guidance and advice to get Amber sorted.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Take care,
    Kas xx
  • Options
    why is she having oats, sorry i think i missed that bit
  • Options
    The consultant wanted us to try it. I think there's a list thier working through and their simply doing a process of elimination. If you want the whole long story it's under lactose intollerance in this forum!
  • Options
    ok tasha, was just wondering.
    i'm lactose introllent btw. not the same in adults as it is in kids thou.
    at the end of the day no one knows your daughter as well as you do. you know every thing that goes in and comes out of her. so imo i think you should go with your guts and heart. bet your right. mums always know best.