Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Petit Filous

I love to eat these myself, but when I went to a weaning class a feww weeks ago, they warned us not to use them because of the high sugar content. Yet the adverts are saying about the calcium - help - I am so confused!

Replies

• Options
    i never used them as i have heard the same from my weaning class but i give my l/o the winnie the pooh ones she loves them x
  • Options
    how much sugar do they have in????? i have looked at loads of diff kinds and they are all pretty similar. i get tesco own, nearly exact same as petit filous, but not as expensive.
  • Options
    I give my lo the Little Star ones as I heard about them on this forum. They are suitable from weaning onwards. They seem to come in Peach, Strawberry and Raspberry.
  • Options
    I was giving my son petit filous and then my mum saw how much sugar was in them so stopped. Now i give him the petit filous little desserts every now and again if hes been a good boy! I think every now and then is fine but everyday is too much
  • Options
    i do give paige petit filous if i have no fruits ready for her pudding but very rare as they do contain 12g of sugar in 100g (each pot is 60g) however little stars although they have alot of sugar in them too (think its 11.1g) it is less than petit filous. i have even looked at organic ones for weaning onwards as i thought these would be better but they are worse with something like 12.8g of sugar. so i try to stick with fresh fruits.
  • Options
    I give my lo a petite filous everyday sometimes 2!!! I feel terrible now!!
  • Options
    Is it added sugar or sugar that is naturally present in the fruit? Most fruits are pretty high in fructose.
  • Options
    I heard there were about 4 tsp's of sugar in each one...but don't quote me on that!
    Someone told me to try Rachels organic as they have no sugar, just apple juice.
    Unfortunately my lo maybe allergic to cows milk so I can't try anything just yet.
  • Options
    I bought Rachels organic rubarb yogurt for myself and it is yummy i cant stop eating it!guess its gotta be better than crisps right?lol i saw on the side of the pot they do childrens ones too so will think about buying them as my LO loves Petit Filous and was having 1 or sometimes 2 a day!will cut him down on these now and look for other ones with less sugar...just had to come on and mention the Rachels yougurts soooooo good!lol x
  • Options
    Hi, I've been giving my LO Petit Filous as I thought they were meant to be okay for bb's but had noticed the sugar was high - from my calculations there are two teaspoons of sugar in each little pot. I then looked at all the other yoghurts marketed at bb's and they all seem to have the same amount so I bought Tesco's own as much cheaper than PF...but then my mum pointed out that they have Guar Gum in them...so then I have bought Sainbury's Kids fromage frais which have fewer nasty ingredients but the same sugar as others...I'm now on the look out for something else, my mum said to get Rachel's Organic yoghurt so I might just try the rhubarb one first...why do companies have to make stuff with so much sugar in them?and why can't they put the ammount in teaspoons which we can visualise better?!
    As my mum says 'they make chocolate pudding for bb's but it doesn't mean they are good for them or they should have them!'
  • Options
    frag_jones, I think youre right coz I remember the hv warning me about them when I was weaning Amy & I'm almost positive thats what she said. I always just bought natural yoghurt & mixed a bit of pureed fruit into at the start & that went down a treat. Now shes older I let her have the odd petit filous (or tescos own version) for convienience sake though not everyday. I dont intend giving them to Zara either til shes older
  • Options
    ok prob shouldnt do this but found a link on another site for homemade baby yoghurt http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/homemade-yoghurt.html think i'll give it a go
  • Options
    I give lo greek yoghurt with chopped fruit mixed in. Occasionally i buy muller little stars yoghurts but the sugar in petit filous is shocking! x
  • Options
    i cant buy these as they give my daughter (8 months) really bad diarreah
    all other yogurts are fine. but i never realised they ahd such a high sugar content
  • Options
    I don't know why everyone thinks there is more sugar in petits filous than in any other fromage frais; having checked the labels, there is very little between any of them! They all have sugar in them. Some of the products have a lot more sugar than Petits Filous. In a little pot like that, it's absolutely nothing to worry about - even if you are giving them a couple of pots a day. I really wouldn't worry about it. Everything in moderation! A lot of us probably grew up on them ourselves.
  • Options
    I use the danone ones, don't know if the sugar content is high in them? You can use them from weaning apparently though.
  • Options
    lizzie31 - 2 pots a day isn't in moderation though.... is it?!?
  • Options
    I just hate the way they try to trick you in their adverts with the calcium thing - it's a milk product, of course it has calcium in it! Also Mueller little stars now go on how they only have 7 ingredients unlike Petit Filou that has more. 7!!! Why on earth are there seven ingredients in something you would think is fruit and yoghurt! None of them mention how bad the sugar is in them and that drinking milk would give the kids just as much calcium. It really upsets me how they try to con people, noone would buy a product that says 'This has 2 spoonfuls of sugar for your little ones'.
    Morgana has been getting greek yoghurt mixed with stewed fruit, banana or mango - much cheaper and oddly enough, only two ingredients.
  • Options
    hi. i think that there is too much read into where baby foods are concerned. i have always given my children fromage frais at 4 months + and has been a variety of store own, petis filous, muller. i have never read how much sugar is in them. i look at it this way - if we stopped eating all the foods that the government or health officials told us to then we would probably starve!!!! lol.
    i think a mums judgement and what the family eat as a unit is good enough, all 5 of my kids have never suffered.xxx
  • Options
    I give Kara a Petit Filous every day and I have no problem with this at all. I agree that if we didn't let them eat everything the government said is unhealthy then they would never eat. It didn't do me any harm growing up so I wouldn't not give it to my child. Fair enough I do agree with moderation and not giving them too much sugar but I don't see what a Petit Filous a day would do. I will keep on giving these to Kara.