Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Starting to Wean - what do I need?

HI girls - I know I need food lol but what else do I need....bowls, spoons, bibs??? Any recomendations? Do I need a cup/bottle?? (Bebe is BF and has never had a bottle).

xx

Replies

• I bought a weaning starter kit from Mothercare with a little blender in it and its brilliant. Bertie also likes the tommie tippie spoons as they have a little end. Bowls are better than plates. I have a cup with two handles, his co-ordination is not quite good enough to hold the cup but the idea is to only give her water/juice at meal times.

Gx
  • Grace also likes the Tommee Tippee spoons, and I like their little weaning pots which are a fab size and come with lids.

I would definitely suggest getting some wipe-clean bibs - I like the big ones from Boots and Mothercare. Grace tends to put her hands in her food when she tries to feed herself and I think these will also come in useful when I combine purees with more BLW when she's a bit older.

I also have a Beaba Babycook which steams, purees, reheats etc in one..... however they are really pricy considering a normal blender but I like it as it does everything, looks cute (superficial, I know) and takes up very little worktop space in the kitchen!

Sorry for rambling,

Em x
  • hey Em - those Beaba babycook things lookl great....annoyed that they are ??90 - they used to be ??60!!!

Why do companies do that?? I have noticed that the bugaboo bee is now ??420 - I bought mine for ??320!!

Thanks for weaning advice xx

• Hi MKB, I've sent you a reply on the Baby Led Weaning thread. I'd suggest ordering the BLW book from amazon and reading that first as it could save you al lot of money on stuff that you then may decide you don't need.

Fraser is still 100% breast fed and I don't want to give him a bottle so I've ordered a doidy cup. Not started using it yet though (gonna wait til he's 6 mths on 10th Feb) so can't say how good it is.
  • Hi,

We have just started weaning, I brought some of the Tommie tippee spoons which were fine but Annabel found a boots one easier and seemed to enjoy feeding from that one more. The spoon she prefers is from the lid of a portable weaning pot, it is slightly smaller than the Tommie Tippee ones.

I also got some fantastic small stacker tubs from mothercare, they hold just over an ice cube size amount of food and can go in the freezer.

My Kenwood food processor already had an attachment for blending small portions so I just use that. I was going to buy one of the Tommie Tippee ones but luckily mine works well so I saved myself a few pennies.

The best thing I have brought is the highchair liner from Ikea (£), it is amazing. Annabel is only 5 months and is quite small so doesn't quite fit into her highchair just yet, however with the liner she is snuck and comfortable. The liner also works well when we go out to cafes, pub or the occasional restaurant. Our highchair is old fashioned and fixed to one size, but I fell in love with it when I saw it in a antiques market, admittedly not the most practical but with the liner it is great.

• Vital Baby do great soft tipped spoons, perfect for weaning, I have used them for both my LOs! they also do little spoon heads that fit onto baby food pouches for when you are out and about. Their Unbelievabowl is good too! it has a suction cup that locks into place on a flat surface so your LO cannot move it when eating, Great for when you are doing a combo of aby led and traditional methods and for when they are a little older. A mess mat comes in handy too! just pop it under the high chair to save carpets and floors from flying food and dropage!! I got a little mini blender from Sainsburys a couple of years ago for £10 and it is fantastic for wizzing up purees, no need for big fancy ones! Also a baby food ricer is handy too (i got an OXO one in the sale for £5  this year), its good for making lumpier textures and I also use it for when I'm making mash and other dishes for the familly! Brother Max do brilliant little freezer pots. I bought an Ikea Antilop highchair 3yrs ago and it has done both my LOs and will do the next one too as its in great condition! its cheap, sturdy, doesn't take up too much space and great if you are on a budget! wipeclean bibs with arms are a must too, especially  if you are doing babyled weaning, saves a lot of laundry! lol image

• Annabel Karmel does a portable mini masher, cost is 3.50 - 5 pounds depending on where you get them from. Is great for foods that need to be soft but not blended/pureed,  small so can be taken on holiday or taken when you go out for the day. X 

The Annabel Karmel mini masher as discussed above.  

• We went out for pub lunch yesterday, I took my waterproof, foil lined lunch box which keeps Annabel's food cool/warm. I also took our portibal masher and manged to prepare Annabel some mashed banana to the correct consistency. So agian I find myself harping on about the above pictured masher - but it really is useful and portibal, once the food was mashed I used the bowl to serve it. Annabel as alwyas loved it.