Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning... what do we need?!

Ever Miss Organised I want to start get what I need ready. But am a bit clueless about the whole thing really. What do we need?

Bowls, spoons, bibs, highchair, floor mat thingie, ice cube trays, blender. Anything else???

Replies

• Options
    I've just bought a book about Baby Led Weaning and the Annabel Karmel recipe and meal planner book. Having flicked through the BLW book for all of 2 minutes I'm not sure if I have the attention span to read it properly (see other post about baby brain) but the Annabel Karmel book is fab and makes me all excited about trying different purees out!

So I would recommend that - she also has a meal planner bit which gives you an example of exactly what and when to feed LO in the first few weeks. I know you love a good plan Baby B so I think it might be the book for you! image
  • Options
    Steamer? I like the look of the mat thingy that you put on the tray, and the bowl can stick to it.

I am getting excited about weaning, can't wait!!
  • Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Annabel-Karmels-Complete-Toddler-Planner/dp/0091924855/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262959495&sr=1-1

This one? I ordered it about a minute before you posted!!! Also ordered the Gina Ford book to see what she says on timings, when to drop milk feeds etc. Was going to get the BLW one too but thought that might be overkill!!!

I do love a good plan - you know me so well!!! (hoping my counselling helps with this as my 'control enthsiast' streak has gone into overdrive since having Beth)

• Options
    Yes that's the one xx
  • Options
    I've been looking at that book too, might have to make a purchase!!

We've got our high chair, bowls and spoons (spoons are fab, they change colour if the food is too hot!), got a blender just need the steamer now!

• Options
    I have got that one on offer from Amazon and it looks very good.
  • Options
    Where are your spoons from lulu? x
  • Options
    also, feeding cups?

i've got some really big bibs which are basically like a whole top for LO to wear, if you know what i mean.

yesterday boots had some avent weaning starter kits online for half-price. i didn't get one because i've been collecting bits and pieces, but might be what someone wants x
  • Options
    I think they are Tommie Tippee ones from Sainsbury's, pack of about 6 in red

• Options
    I've been looking at stuff as well and think I need a blender if I want him to eat things I have made, so gonna invest in one at the weekend. Might also have a look at the starter kits as well as I have absolutely nothing xx
  • Options
    I second the annabel book......had it bought for xmas as i clearly am just a mum now and dont warrant a present for ME!!!! Ha ha only joking i was very greatful and my brother bought it....how random...but he is gay!!

We've been collecting bits...got spoons from asda, but i havent bought bowls or anything yet......dont know why but they didnt occur to me!!! ha ha baby brain or what.....what is he gonna eat out of!?? Can anyone recommed a decent blender and steamer??x
  • Options
    i was in boots this afternoon and they have 8 1oz separate freezer bowls with lids for ??2.99 - seemed reasonable to me. also if you collect Advantage points you can use them to buy it! x
  • Options
    I have that book too! Been reading through it, it seems simple enough, and I can make some of the recipes for me and hubby to eat as well. Definitely recommended!
  • Options
    g/c from april - knw1989 - i had them and all the frozen food stuck onto them! I used the annabel karmel portion trays from boots which were fab!

Re the mats with suction and bowls, they are a fab idea, but won't be needed until they are feeding themselves! If you do it before then their hands go straight in it and everywhere they can get it too! lol image I found this out the hard way!

from my point of view, I am a TT fan and I have used the small food pots fro the start of weaning and now to defrost portions, the TT bowls, the heat sensitive spoons, and the TT Nuby trainer cup. I wouldn't necessarily bother with a full size blender, a hand blender works fine! I used the cheap asda one and it's fab! About ??5 I think! I also found the annabel karmel book fab for ideas on what to give them!

Bibs - big ones lol image You may find the all i one ones not suitable at first so may be worth getting some other big ones. Boots and asda do reasonably priced ones! I tried the sleeved ones on my lo and she spent the whole time chewing her sleeves lol image

Oh yeah, I also agree with the floor mat if you have carpet! I have wood floors so haven;t bothered!

HTH xx
  • Options
    think i'll hang onto the boots ones, not worth the hassle of taking them back, i'm sure thy'll come in useful for pieces of fruit etc. thanks for the tip, will look for some others x