Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

BLW and Formula

Mums that have done BLW and were formula feeding, did you change to follow on milk when your lo reached six months ? As I understand it it gives baby the nutrients that his/her body runs out at six months. Normally these nutrients are replenished through food but I understand that BLW babies don't often actually "eat" any food for the first few months.

So, my question is, should I move on to follow on milk ?

Thanks

K x

Replies

• Options
    i haven't done blw yet (starting on monday image) but i was thinking about this too. i asked my HV about it and she said that she wouldn't bother with follow-on milk just stick to either stage 1 or stage 2 milk and offer iron-rich foods. i think the gill rapley book says that the iron supply they already have dwindles - ie it doesn't just disappear over night. there is already iron in formula anyway isn't there?

good luck with blw - when are you starting? i have been looking forward to it for weeks!

Spark
  • Options
    My HV's advice was exactly the opposite to Spark's HV!

I actually gave Grace purees from 17 weeks but she has been self feeding (so like a mix of BLW and 'traditional' weaning) since about 5 months.

I moved her over to follow on as she hit six months as the HV recommended it; Grace stopped being keen on milk as soon as food became available!

Good luck with whatever you decide image

Em x
  • Options
    Organic dried apricots are a great source of Iron for little ones. Just leave them in boiled water over night to soften. J loves them x x
  • Options
    We started last week - but we've not really got anywhere yet. His fav food at the mo is banana but only when I break off little pieces and put them in his mouth for him. Maybe he's just lazy! Ha ha !

K x
  • Options
    pippa has been purely blw and is still on 1st stage milk (we're making the change when she's one to cows milk) and my hv said follow on milks are a waste of money really. Pippa started eating properly at 8 months that's when she really seemed to get it, and we've never looked back it's so fabulous so gald we found blw. She's going to be 1 on friday and even now people are shocked how well she eats and what she'll eat. I think as long as you offer a well balanced diet the bits your lo does eat (and thye will eat bits very quickly)will be enough untill there eating properly which will happen quicker then you think
    xxx
  • Options
    I spoke to my health visitor today and she said follow on should only be used when your lo is on three good meals a day as its not really as much of a "food" as stage one milk - it's more of a halfway house between stage 1 (food) and cows milk (drink).

K x