Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

'Traditional' weaning and lumps

Hi All,

My little boy is just 7 months and I am doing the traditional weaning method of purees and spoon feeding. My little one does not react well to lumps in his food and I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem?

I have tried mashing foods and fruits well with a fork and he ends up gagging and choking. I know all babies gag on lumps at first but he actually chokes and then vomits to clear his airways! think I may wait another month and try again, any tips or advice please?

Thanks
Kerry x

Replies

• Hey,
    Sorry you are having problems. I personally have never experienced any probs with weaining, but I will answer as best I can - someone might be along after me who has been through it and can offer you some better advice!
    Has your little one got any teeth yet? Obviously teeth will help him to break down small lumps, but even without teeth, babies need to learn to chew, so small, soft lumps are OK.
    I always used a mini-blender to mx down fruit/veg purees, as you can adjust how lumpy or smooth you want the food pretty easily, depending on the amount of time it is kept in the blender.
    Start off with fairly smooth, but not too runny food. Get him used to the texture and taste of the food, and see how he goes, but dont push it if he isnt interested. If he will take smooth foods, very gradually increase the amount of lumps in it.
    Have you tried finger foods yet? I know you said you want to do the spoon feeding, which is fine, but I'm just thinking, if you could offer him a low sugar biscuit, and just let him "chew" on it with his gums or his little teeth, he may get more used to having foods in his mouth, but obviously watch he doesnt break off big chunks! You could even try this alongside spoon feeding.
    It may just be that he isnt ready yet, my 2nd daughter wasnt weaned until she was well over 6 months, as she just wasnt interested before then.
    Be very encouraging when he does eat food, but dont be afraid to hold it off for a while longer if you feel it sint working right now.
    I hope it all goes OK xxx
  • I agree with cazzywoo.

When giving lumps make sure that you have not over loaded the spoon. Also, when he does gag/chokes, don't over react, as your worry will be picked up by him. Instead give positive body language and reassuring woods and try feeding him another spoon of the food.

I started my adding baby pasta into pureed food to get him used to lumps with the base being a constituency that he was used to. Then from there I moved to mashed/lumpy food.

Good luck