Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

before 4 months

Ive been reading alot about weaning and the general guidelines are wait until 6months and if you do want to wean before this speak to a HV, also in no uncertain terms, DO NOT wean before 4 months. However, it seems that lots of people do start before 4 months as they think their baby is ready. Ive read that before 4 months their guts are really not at all ready for anything other than milk and only really ready at 6m or around then, and if you have a hungry baby to just increase milk feeds. This is easier said than done, when you are up every 2 -3 hrs through the night to feed, but i do not want to put my sleep needs before my baby's current and later health.

What are your thoughts?

Em x

Replies

• Grace was a very hungry baby (2-2.5 hourly feeds!) right up until 17 weeks when I started to introduce purees, and now she self feeds finger foods really well at 6.5 months.

I would personally avoid introducing solids until 4 months.

Are you BFing or FFing? If FF, have you given hungry baby formula a try?

Good luck,

Em xx
  • I started my LO on baby porridge at around 16 weeks. He was a hungry baby who was drinking around 45-50oz milk a day and up all night, tried hungry baby milk but it just made him constipated and he screamed solidly for 3 days! image Started feeding him and he loved. Every baby is different tho and i think that u really have to make sure ur LO is ready before u start.
    Good luck
    SX
  • Lizzie is 16 weeks tuesday and I have some baby porridge ready for her. She is cows milk and lactous intolerent so I cant give her hungry baby formula and have already uped her feeds to 35oz a day! I started to wean my DD1 at 16 weeks too and she is ok but saying that I am NOT recommending it to anyone!
  • my first son was very hungary baby was having 8/9 oz every 3 hours and was on hugary baby milk at 5 weeks old! it was so bad! he started on solids at 16 weeks and coped fine! he was on finger foods at 6 months! and has never been a fussy eater! hes now 23 months and loves his food!

my 2nd son is only 13 weeks he doesnt have half has much as what jayden did he has 5 oz every 3 hours..

i think it depends on each baby! and end off the day its the mothers choice! xx
  • most baby's digestive systems are not ready before 6 months hence the current recommendations however not all babies are the same, if your baby can sit unaided, hold a spoon and is putting things in her mouth and taking a lot of intrest when you're eating they may be ready to eat ! if happy with milk leave until 6 months if hungry and showing all these signs speak to your gp or health visitor. feeding too early in a baby not ready can lead to choking food allergies and intolerances, it's different to the advice given years ago but better understanding of babies allows us to make better choices good luck

[Modified by: molly'smummy on May 08, 2010 10:18 AM]