Forum home Babies Weaning

when did you wean and what does your baby eat??

Hi everyone! I havent posted for a while. But i was curious as to when you started weaning and what your baby has to eat.

Logan was started at 4 months as he licked off a spoon, can sit upright, really isnt fussed for milk and couldnt stop watching me and hubby eat lol. He was on rice and porridge for 3 weeks and started him on banana and apple this week. He is doing great. He still gets 4 6oz bottles and sleeps all night from 10ish to 8 or 9 in morning. I guess im panicking that he isnt getting enough etc. But he must be as he sleeps.

Sorry im so nosy! First time mum so everything is scary lol xx

Replies

• Hiya

my lo Lily-Rose is six and a half months and we started with baby rice when she was four and a half months. At first we just did a few spoonfuls a day - gradually building up to one small bowl a day. Then we started giving her the cow and gate banana porridge (one bowl a day - usually in the morning) and gradually made the consistency of that thicker and the amount larger.

Now our feeding routine goes something like this:

Morning 8:30/9am: 210ml aptamil follow on milk

11:30/12:00: Large bowl of banana baby porridge - recently starting mixing in half of an actual banana and sometimes she will hold the other half and munch on that for a while afterwards.

2:30/3:00pm: 210ml aptamil follow on milk

5:30/6pm: 80ml aptamil follow on milk and lightly pureed bowl of whatever we are eating for dinner, for example today we had steamed fish and vegetables so we pureed that for her.

7:30/8:00: 210ml aptamil follow on milk.

She has slept through since about 6weeks - from 8pm at night to 8:30am in the morning *lucky us* and i always worry that because of this she isn't getting enough milk but spoke to hv and she said that lily's diet is fine - it is less milk than the recommended amount but is obviously suited to Lily's needs, that, like you said, if she was hungry she wouldn't sleep so i guess that is what suits her image

a few examples of what she eats now:

banana baby porridge, one mashed weetabix with a little bit of her baby milk or full fat milk, baby cereal with greek yoghurt and strawberry puree, banana...
    Chicken, Broccoli, Carrot, Potato, Parsnip, Sweet potato, Avocado, fish - cod/tuna/mackerel/plaice, cauliflower, sweetcorn, peas, fish fingers, spinach, watermelon, homemade chicken soup, homemade caramelized onion soup, homemade fish pie, greek yoghurt with any fruit puree mixed in - normally strawberry, toast 'soldiers' of brown bread, tiny pasta with homemade cheese or tomato sauce, hard boiled egg, scrambled egg...

Basically we just try her with anything we are eating except for red meat which we are waiting to give her in small amounts and everything we give her we try to do homemade - for example fish fingers image when we are out at family or friend's houses we just take our hand blender - everybody is great preparing veg or dinner without salt so that lily can join us image

The three things she doesn't like: green beans, red lentil soup and mushrooms (altho tbh i'm glad she didn't like the mushrooms cos me and OH hate them!)

good luck, i'm a first mum too so i know what you mean about worrying! I've just realised just how much stuff lily actually eats it's pretty big list!
    xxx