Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Breastfeeding doll for toddlers

Replies

• Options

My older children always breastfed their dollies and teddies cos they saw me do it.They didn't need a special dolly to do it.

Slight design flaw,er my boobies are inside my clothes.The idea of putting on an item of clothing with  baby feeding off that's a bit silly.It doesn't mimic bf from that point of view.It seems to be using this gimmick to sell an otherwise normal doll.

I don't see it as inappropriate,just not very well thought out

• Options
    That is quite shocking. I know it's natural for little girls to mimick their mums but that child is only a baby herself and it looks slightly disturbing...
  • Options

This is a tricky one.  At first look I was a little shocked, but it is promoting a natural act.  On the other hand why can't we let out little girl's pretend and use their imagination like we did.  Some dolls seem to go too far anyway, without the need for fake breasts.  

I wonder what dad's would think of this new doll, and I could see that certain generations might be horrified and think that we're not allowing children to be children with these sorts of products.

I wouldn't be keen on it for my daughter anyway. 

• Options
    i agree with jo, Isabelle was using teddies to copy feeding, no special doll is needed, Kids have imagination far beyond ours. I trust mine to be able to use there own imagination
  • Options
    I think the manufacturers would like us to think how nice promoting breastfeeding and all that,but it's probably get yourself noticed cos there's not another dolly like it.
    Has anyone seen Meet the Fokkers,where Robert De Niro's strutting about in a pair of strap on boobs to feed the Grandson.Why does that picture keep popping into my head
  • Options
    I thought it was great, "go on have a squeeze" classic
  • Options
    i saw this aaaages ago, its caused a huge debate on netmums, personally its just another gimmick, kids will breastfeed dolls/teddies/actionman if thats what they see, no special doll needed!
  • Options

Exactly yet another money making racket. Children have THE best imaginations going,if they want to breastfeed a teddy/dolly then they will,they can make all sucking burping noises themselves-and have more fun doing it!!!! Strap on boobs?????

No wonder you keep picturing DeNiro Jo!!!!!!! Think that just confuses issue!!!!!!!

• Options

Didn't like the sound of this at first but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.  I agree with first poster about maybe not being that well thought out/ Biologically accurate (!), but they are presumably trying to get around little girls opening their clothes in public (not that Mums shouldn't, but we can be more discreet and have special tops etc if we want).

I don't see why it's fine for little girls to have pretend bottles to feed their dollies but this is not objected to.  I grew up knowing nothing about breastfeeding because nobody talked about it, but so glad my daughter took to it.   I'd definitely consider introducing this to her through her toys (not planning to have any more babies so she won't pick it up that way) but don't think I'd buy a special doll. 

• Options

Hehe.  The burp at the end is quite cute.

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with a breastfeeding doll - there are plenty of bottle-fed ones, it's about time someone redressed the balance! - it's just that I'm not sure you need the sound effects/strap-on top to do it... 

• Options
    Its not disturbing or shocking. My daughter 19 months, tries to get me to 'feed' toys and she played with a doll at playgroup and did not know what to do with the bottle. Anything that reiterates breastfeeding as normal and natural has to be a good thing.
  • Options
    SAW THIS ON NETMUMS TOO AND THE REACTION THERE WAS DREADFUL
  • Options

My older children always breastfed their dollies and teddies cos they saw me do it.They didn't need a special dolly to do it.

Slight design flaw,er my boobies are inside my clothes.The idea of putting on an item of clothing with  baby feeding off that's a bit silly.It doesn't mimic bf from that point of view.It seems to be using this gimmick to sell an otherwise normal doll.

I don't see it as inappropriate,just not very well thought out