Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Call for cheaper school uniforms

Replies

• Options
    theres a really good deal in tesco this year! My mums just peeved it includes shoes as charley has a really high instep and has to have clarks, so do my two! x
  • Options
    This is definitely a good idea.  My son is slightly small for his age and when i went to the School uniform shop a very rude lady told me the smallest size would have to be bought!!! The jumper was nearly at his ankles!!!! So i bought 3 for 2 in M&S which is still slightly too big but wearable.  I got his whole uniform (3 each of trousers/polo shirt and Sweatshirt for less than £30 and the school uniform where charging £7.50 for one polo shirt and £12.50 for a sweatshirt.
  • Options
    thats good, my mum always goes on and on that m+s did the best uniforms when i was small, at my primary school we could where whatever tops/jumpers aslong as polos were white and jumpers/cardis/sweaters were blue!
  • Options
    hi i run a second chance uniform organisation where people donate their children's uniform that they have out grown and supply uniform back to them with the next size up if i have any in stock. i started it 6 years ago mainly for the logo t shirts and jumpers but then it grew to plimsoles and pe kits to now i do all uniform it works really well. people can join for £1.50 if they choose this pays(in theory) for washing and repairing the garments if needed. i strated just doing my local infant school but now do the junior school as well.

a way of meeting new people, helping people and recycling.

COME ON FOLLOW MY EXAMPLE SAVE MONEY SAVE THE EARTH xx
  • Options
    thats a really good idea tania! image
  • Options
    Oh Tania wish they did that around here,think I may have to start that up,I'm the biggest recycler around,my friends and I hardly ever buy new clothes!!!!!!
  • Options

That's a really good idea.Lots of stuff is just out grown.

Our kids school has school fund cake sale every term,and at the summer one they sold off second hand uniform,unfortunately nothing the right sizes for us.Our old school used to lay out all the lost property on a long table in the playground at the end of term,and if no one claimed it they gave it away.

Having just spent £260 on my eldest son's uniform,PE kit and all his other must haves,and that's without shoes,I'm glad my younger kids didn't need much replacing this term.Unfortunately everything was specific to his school,so I couldn't shop around.Hope he's not plannig on growing fast ,cos it's going to have to last a while

• Options
    That's a great idea! When I was at school, my mum used to pay loads of money buying specific shades of tights, particular style of shoe and I HAD to have the school coat - which I remember costing about £60! I think it's great uniforms come so cheap now as they grow out them so quickly!