Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Sex education for 4-year-olds?

Replies

• Options
    i dont like this-they are to to young-when is the government or anyone for that matter gona realize that the reason girls are gettin pregnant young is cos of the media-i say watch the sky music channels where every girl is writhin around in her underwear and wearin hair extensions and fake make up-girls emulate that a nd think thats how they hav to act and look so they grow up too soon-look older than they are and therefore hav sex earlier-its also magazines and tv too-it is not lack of sex education just as smokers dont stop smokin just cos of a tv campaign-they do it anyway. sex education is adequate but some one needs to take the media in hand
  • Options

Some good points there Yorkshirelou,I agree,media is so influential these days,sad but true.

I wouldn't want my lads at 4 having sx education,however I do think I'll probably try and explain to my boys all about it perhaps at 10,just because as Lou pointed out,they grow up so quick these days,10year olds look 13. Respect for yourself is main concern with me-for boys or girls.

• Options
    four is FAR to young to know everything, maybe where babies come from but not the gory facts!!! I knew at around 8 and was quite savy and sensible i think imo! Yes i was a mum at 18 but my son was planned id been in a stable relationship for 2 yrs and were still very happy together and hopefully will stay that way, age isnt a factor in being in a good relationship and decent parenting, but My mum informed me of stis etc which i think many teens know nothing about, ie the pill stops them, stupid!!!
  • Options
    i have a girl of 11 and she is just startin to look older and dress cool-i wear make up every day and do my hair and wear all of topshop-haha! and its comin bk on me now as she wants to copy me-ie short skirts and skinnies-she is askin bout stuff and i find myself gettin a little embarrased as im still only young myself-don t know how to answer sometimes so if school is doing it for me thats gud then i can answer stuff as best i can-i wont let her wear those things tho or wear make up she is just too young but the pressure is there as she wants to fit in
  • Options

Must be so hard for you,I agree with you 11 is young,I bet some of her peers are in short skirts and low cut tops and looking much much older. This is an awful thing to say,but it's no wonder some fella's get into trouble-I know of a girl 14,genuinely looked 17at least,and her boyfriend was 22. Doubt he knew hold old she was,soon found out and sadly got into trouble.

Mind you I'm not looking forward to the 'chat' I must admitimage gotta be done tho.

• Options
    weve already agreed roo does boys i do girls image
  • Options

My older kids all know things they'd rather not.I caught them using the word lesbian,some months ago.Isaid they couldn't use it cos they didn't know what it meant.So they told me what it meant.They knew alright

When we were 10 maybe 11,top end of juniors we used to have great long discussions about sex.All did you know this or that and you'd go no that's got to be wrong,that's gross,and you'd end up with half truths,lots of giggling,and slowly getting the picture.We had a brief,maybe two lessons worth of sex education aged about 11 at senior school.Nothing else till another brief probably again two lessons worth aged around 14.That was it for us.

Kids today get all this sex education that we didn't twenty years ago .Whatever they're teaching them it's not working.Girl's clothes make them look like mini adults,at least mini adults of questionable morals.They're encouraged to grow up too fast,and media does have a big part to play in all that,as do so many toys,things like Barbies and Bratz and countless others.(all banned from our house).

Sex ed at 4 though,depends what they're teaching them.If they're teaching them to respect themselves and respect each other in a way that they can understand that's a good start,but they're's no way I want my 4 year old knowing much more than that.

• Options

Gosh, its a scary world isnt it, it is a terrible shame how quickly they grow up (although they dont grow up that quickly emotionally) 

I think 4 is probably too young for full on information but i agree that a start could be made as you have commented.   

I do think they need to know the full facts and risks before the start senior school though. My nephew has just started senior school and is 11 next month & he has already gone through puberty, there are some good books for boys/girls of their age and written in a way they would like to read and answers some questions they may not want to ask mum and dad.  My sister has always been very open and honest about things with him and he has known quite a bit from a youngish age,  I think it is quite good as he knows the risks, my sister has told him that when he is old enough to get into a physical relationship he must use the appropriate protection and what could happen if he doesnt.      

I cant beleive it, kids at four shouldnt need to know all the details they should be worrying about what game to play next!!!

• Options
    Sorry but the only thing my 4yr old wants 2 no, is will the kitten fall down the well, couse e was being silly!!!! An as 4 11yr old, u seen some of the under wear thats out there. Peer pressure is where its all coming from. N u will find half of them that have done this that n the other plus printed a t shirt on way back, havent realy done anything. Ok some will have done but think the biggest part of parents will have ad the talk by time their 11, but 4 please let em be children first.
  • Options

My six year old knows about babies growing inside you and how they get out but hasn't as yet asked how they get there.  When he does ask I will tell him the truth in a way he can understand, but wouldn't have that conversation unless he starts it. I think 4 is too young to know all the facts of life but like alot of you have said learning self respect and respect for others is always a good idea.

I had sex ed at school when i was about 7 and came out of school and said to my mum " I found out how babies are made and i don't think its very nice" have slightly changed my mind since then.image

• Options

I have a feeling these headlines get hyped up - what is termed 'sex education' may well be just teaching 4 year olds the differences between boys and girls. People should check the facts before getting their knickers in a twist about it.

Also, I do think the earlier the better with kids as if they are told myths or euphemisms eg the stork brings babies, its just confusing,. Plus they will hear inaccurate explanations from kids at school and older siblings, so its better if you've told the real story to them first. They don't have to know everything, but I would answer honestly any question my 3 year old daughter asks. I suspect when I'm pregnant again (planning soon), she will want to know  a bit of the hows and whys and I will tell her. So far she knows that boys have willies and girls don't, and that mummies grow babies in their tummies, and feed them milk from their boobies.

• Options

I have a feeling these headlines get hyped up - what is termed 'sex education' may well be just teaching 4 year olds the differences between boys and girls. People should check the facts before getting their knickers in a twist about it.

Also, I do think the earlier the better with kids as if they are told myths or euphemisms eg the stork brings babies, its just confusing,. Plus they will hear inaccurate explanations from kids at school and older siblings, so its better if you've told the real story to them first. They don't have to know everything, but I would answer honestly any question my 3 year old daughter asks. I suspect when I'm pregnant again (planning soon), she will want to know  a bit of the hows and whys and I will tell her. So far she knows that boys have willies and girls don't, and that mummies grow babies in their tummies, and feed them milk from their boobies. Tha't enough for now, until she asks more.

• Options

I think that at 4 years old a child is too young to know about sex but teaching them body parts may be a good idea.

As for wanting to cut abortion rates among teens, there wa a study not that long ago that showed the rates of abortions among women between 41-45 were the same as teens.

I do believe that if a child is curious and asks questions they houd not be lied to and when my son starts asking why he has bits like daddy and mummy and his baby sister are different although i wont be explicit i will not lie to him and i certainlywill not be saying a stork brings a baby.

• Options
    I think it's wise to teach them the body basics but if they venture into full-on, sex education I would have to say no no no no!! Too much, too young!