Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Pub tells mum to stop breastfeeding

Replies

• Options

ARGH not again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

this is happening FAR to often!!!

When on earth is the message gonna get through that its <LEGAL to feed your baby ANYWHERE!

im off before i let rip!

• Options
    Did think people's attitudes were changing,it's a shame to see this sort of thing happening still.
  • Options

I womder how long it took the person who complained to realise that the mum in question was actually feeding?  cos if she was well covered, id guess the complainer must have been staring for an awfully long time!! but pf course its ok to gawp at people isnt it...

i cant believe that staff in shop/restuarants still follow up these peoples complaints, its really quite sad.  as if being a mother wasnt hard enough.

• Options

I sat in Meadowhall and fed my 3wk old baby while feeding the older 2 Mcdonalds as a rare treat.  It was only when I burbed her that the woman at the next table realised what I'd been doing and came over.

I was ready for her to start having a go at me and all she said was where did I get such a lovely breastfeeding top cos her niece was hiding in the toilets feeding her baby!

My sister is mortified whenever shes with me because I told her if it was ok for her to feed her daughter a bottle in a public place mine was being breastfed and it was less obvious she was even being fed!

If you get the clothes and shawls etc its no more obvious than cuddling your baby because nothing is exposed.

• Options
    I used .to hide in the beginning too, but by the time i had my youngest it was boobs out wherever we were!  Its other [peoples problem not mine.  whats the choice a screaming, hungry baby or a wee quiet contented soul?  KNow which i would prefer.
  • Options
    i was lucky i never ever had anyone that had the front to comment, i had a few looks but lola spent many outtings bum balanced on a table whilst she fed, while i ate!
  • Options
    now that really is multi tasking!! 
  • Options

It was once suggested to me that I might feel more comfortable breastfeeding my baby in a private room......and this was by a doctor in the childrens A&E at Frimely Park Hospital!!!!!  My oldest daughter had split her head open so we were waiting to be seen and the only other people in the A&E were my husband, my daughter, a mother and her son - who had no problem with me breastfeeding.  Plus my little boy was totally covered by a breastfeeding shawl.

When I said I was alright where I was he was quite insistent but I stuck to my guns and very firmly said 'No thank you'.

What is wrong with people? 

Am now breastfeeding baby number 3 and fully intend on doing it anytime, any place, anywhere!

• Options
    in a hospital! image now that is seriously poor!
  • Options
    i think this is terrible we should be encouraged to breast feed not made to feel ashamed its the healthiest option for any baby i am currently breast feeding my 2nd and i would never think twice about whipping my boobs out to give him a feed i have had many funny looks as i refuse to use shawls i mean its acceptable to have boobs out in the page 3 so why not to feed your child its a messed up world we live in thts for sure!!!!!
  • Options
    I can't beleive a hopstial said that, that is really terrible.  I fed everywhere although quit shy so did try and keep covered as much as possible but when they want a feed, they want a feed, why do people find it so awful, I think it is a lovely thing to be able to do for your baby, the most natural thing in the world really.
  • Options

Just in case anyone was wondering, here's a review of the pub in question:

http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub1342.php

• Options
    thanks for that john, doesnt seem like it has many redeeming features!
  • Options

No it doesn't does it? Sounds like a miserable place.

We won't be going there with our Samuel anyway  image

• Options

Hello!

My first post here :0) but every time someone complains about bresteeding in public - it makes me really annoyed.

Fortunately I was never told off for breastfeeding my daughter - I even managed to do it on the crowded plane, sitting next to the young guy who didn't mind it. And as all they ladies here I agree that it is the most natural and the most beautiful time for mother and baby.

• Options

i completely agree milena,

and welcome to mfm im laura mum to jack 2.5 and lola 1 image

• Options
    I always think it's such a shame when this happens, as breastfeeding is such a natural thing. She covered her chest with a scarf too, so it's not as if she wasn't being considerate of the other customers. I'm not sure I'd know how to react if this happened to me!