Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Britons back baby limit

Replies

• Options

is britain gonna become CHINA??? limit to 1 per family!!! and if u have more, u got to kill ur unborn child!!! where is our human right???

as long as the parents can afford, they can have as much children they want. i mean parents who work hard. Not those junks who used tax payer money.

• Options
    what about families like ours? we just got a bfp on my 4th child and its my husbands first, doesnt he deserve the right? what a load of rubbish!!!!
  • Options

There are plenty of people out there that can't even look after one, yet they have a number of children and pretty much leave them to their own devices, like the story on here they other week about the woman who went out on a drink and drugs binge and left four kids home alone!!! they should concentrate more on helping people look after their children (I dont mean money wise but advice for those that cant deal with these things or ensuring htis doesnt happen to other kids). Who are they to say how many children we can or can't have, Bloomin madness! What if you fell pregnant with quads! GRRRRRR, If you can look after them and have the love, time and patience who are they to tell us we shouldnt have more than 1 or 2!

I only have one cheeky fella at the moment but who knows what the future holds and I would be furious if i was told I wasnt allowed any more

Made me mad!!!!!!!

• Options

Trouble with a survey like that is the people expressing their opinion do not have the full facts.With a birth rate in this country of 1.7 per family,we are a long way off the 2.1 per family required to even replenish the current population.Population increases are also due to an aging population,living far longer than ever expected when plans were made for their retirement,who need a young population who will be working  and paying taxes that will support them.We also have a large immigrant population and a subsequent immigrant baby boom,so you need to take that into account too.On a world wide scale that would be a population decrease in their home country.There's a place for everyone in this world

Human beings are doing what human beings are designed to do.It's not down to anyone else ,let alone a government to tell you you have to sabotage what nature created perfect.Certainly the opinions of 29% of readers of one minor London newspaper do not reflect life in the real world for the most of the country.

Yes,I'm biased,I have 7 children at the moment and intend to have as many as I am given.These are babies we're talking about,potential human beings,not a plague.I have three friends my age who have no intention of and will never have children.They are not alone.There's a balance.

Population trends vary over time and doesn't need interfering with.

• Options
    jo you sure do know you stuff! image
  • Options
    I have 4 children and receive no benefits.  we work - i go back to work when my maternity leave finishes in January. my husband works , and we have no money for luxeries.   we have never had a holiday,  a small sacrifice for our lovely children. 
  • Options

i dont think anyone should be dictated too about the number of children they should have.  And im guessing with the figures posted by Jo, then Britain is not going to become as overcrowded as China all of a sudden? 

And i would guess also that many of the people asked probably have a skewed view (not helped by the media) of large families- ie none of them work, they all claim benefits etc. etc.  most of which is probably untrue. 

• Options

Spot on ladies-Jo such a fountain of knowledge as per!

Quite right-who decides that?????? The people in charge of immigration-say no more. As Jo pointed out-nobody planned for immigration baby boom,nhs suffered as result-yet the people in charge of nhs-are in charge of immigrationimage Scary really.

I doubt it will ever happen as we're nowhere near population of china.

• Options

Apopolgy-1.7 was the figure for 2007,it's currently 1.9,shows how quick things change.Highest rate since 1973.Also on the increase is childless women.Also on the DECREASE is family size over all.

Complete anorak I know,I went on the National Statistics site.As a pariah of society I felt it my dutyimage.Lots of info though,the aging population looks to be incresing for thenext 25 years too.I'll go nowimage

• Options

haha jo, your ok, blooming usefull to have around!image

• Options
    love it jo lmao xxxx
  • Options

Link to the Optimum Population Trust

If you have four kids and each of those has four kids and each of those has four kids you end up with 64 people.

Now imagine half of the UK, say 30 milion people, doing the same (as half are Women of course - not that gender matters for the nutters out there).

That is 192,000,000 extra peaople by the time you are a Great Gran.

This has to stop or else the Human Race is doomed.

Either we control the population or 'Mother Earth' will do it for us (with mass starvation, Global warming, civil unrest etc)..

• Options
    Statistically yeah-but there is a massive increase in women who remain childless now,as opposed to 25/30 years ago.
  • Options

The vast majority of people only want a small number of children anyway - not many people out there have a desire to have 4, 5, 6+ children. With our birth rate low alreadt, surely stopping people having children is only going to ensure our population is even more skewed towards the elderly in years to come??

I have one at the moment, but would like one, maybe two more, however on the flip side I have at least one friend who has no desire to have children ever - does that mean we balance out!? Not a good idea in my opinion.

• Options
    i think this is really silly
    my oh has 4 lids with his ex an i have no children and really woild love to have 1 we have been trying for 4 years now
    does that mean then cuz he has children am would not be allowed if that was the case
    jade xxx
  • Options

There's an awful lot of ifs involved in predicting the end of the world,and folk have been trying to do that since time begun,and they've never been right cos they don't take in to account the whole picture.Women are not having more babies at a dangerous rate,one in five women born in 1963 is childless past the age of childbearing.Family size itself is not on a  significant increase.Population figures rise and fall,our aging population won't always be so.When they are no longer with us,which sadly nature will take care of(I'm not talking a culling here)there are generations to follow of lower birth rates.Don't forget reliable contraception is a relatively recent thing.When you look at a rise in birth rate you have to consider it may be higher than x number of years ago for a number of reasons.Post War baby boomers are heading into the older people category.Migration has lead to an increase in population,which is then meaning more women of childbearing age to have children.Baby booms happen.The birth rate drops again.

The idea that you have 4 children who have 4,who have 4 is a ludicrous .From personal experience alone I have three childless friends from college,another that I know of from school.I'm one of 5.Just two of us have children,the other 3 have no intention,and very little likelihood.

Oh and Mother Nature is sadly far too powerful to let the human race destroy ourselves.Far too often we sadly get a cruel reminder.

• Options
    well said jo xxxxx
  • Options
    Sorry Jade,posted the same time I think.Your baby's coming,just keeping you waiting.How are you?
  • Options

I don't think that they can say that a survey in a city magazine represents the opinions of the entire nation. In my experience people who live in cities tend to have fewer children - or no children, whereas in rural areas (where I live) there tend to be larger families.

I don't think I know ANYBODY who would think a law to restrict the number of children a person can have a good thing.

• Options

would i be right in thinking about a third of people have no children??

What kind of person thinks thats a fair thing?

its so wrong on so so many levels, many people are happy with one, some two, many more and why not?

Isnt it a free country?