Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: 'Uninsured' train staff refuse to help mum with buggy

Replies

• Options

I think that is terrible the poor mum all she wants is a bit of help with her baby and she will now rely on other people not staff. I also think that if this keeps happening at the train so more mums will be sickend.

• Options

the last bit i mean       I also think that if this keeps happening at the train  more mums will be sickend.image

• Options

When I was a nanny in London I used to travel on the underground regularly with a side by side double buggy and sometimes with a single.Sometimes people were helpful,but I was once told by a station person that they couldn't help because you shouldn't take anything onto the underground you couldn't carry  by yourself.I had two toddlers and a pushchair so getting them out wasn't an option.I used to find the best bet was start bumping it up or down the steps and someone would help.

I staff are unable to help then there ought to be a lift.How do they deal with wheelchairs?As for helping the husband though,they really need to sort their staff out.Sounds like the Mum needed the train on lazy day

• Options

This has also happened to me but slightly different. I asked for assistance and was told I couldn't be helped as the person was unable to move from where he was. I got assistance from a passenger who heard the conversation instead.

On the return of the same journey I asked the lady who was collecting rubbish to help me get down the stairs at Clapham Junction and she told me off for not taking my daughter out of the pram! It would have been twice as hard to hold my daughter and help the staff member get the pram down the stairs as she suggested.

I have to say I'm shocked that train stations in this country (supposedly not third world) do not have lifts installed. Clapham Junction is only just getting their lifts installed but they won't be working for months! Crazy.

I certainly won't be taking my daugher on trains in this country again.

• Options
    our station has no lift and 2 flights of stairs and nobody will ever help you (including other rail users) One man did offer to help me carry it up the steps the other week and the woman in the ticket office stopped him and said he had to buy a ticket. I explained I had no help and he was just helping me but it fell on deaf ears.
  • Options
    It's awful that they're so inconsistent with their regulations. I can't believe they helped her husband one week and then wouldn't help her the next. I'm so glad another passenger stepped in to help her, I can't think of anything worse than struggling on my own!