Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Boy stopped from eating cheese sandwich at nursery

Replies

• Options
    This is ridiculous!
  • Options
    Absolute madness!
  • Options

I cannot believe that it is ANY of the nurserys business.

They should have guidelines for the food THEY serve up, but what the children take in is none of their business.

• Options
    Spot on buster,glad the parents have removed him from that placement! How ridiculous!
  • Options

Agree completely,Buster.None of their business.Some jobsworth presumabing to know better than the poor child's mother,cos the rules say so.

We've  had packed lunch issues for a while at my children's school.They have lunchtime supervisors taking it upon themselves to tell the children they can't eat what their parent has given them for lunch because it's unhealthy.I do a healthy lunchbox but  if I choose to add one treat,that's up to me,because I not only plan that meal but also the rest of the meals for the day,so I know  my child's getting all they need in a day.I did  have words,just Tuesday, with the office lady,who's spoken to all the dinner ladies,and there shouldn't be any more problems,and my children tell me they ate their flapjack today and no one stopped them.

A cheese sandwich is not unhealthy.I'm sure the parents just made a sandwich they knew their little boy would like and the nursery had no business interfering.

• Options

I totally agree!  Surely it makes more sense to give the little boy something he would enjoy for lunch rather than something he wouldn't eat.  The school had no right in interfering.  If a parent chooses for ther child to stay school dinners then fair enough the school does have a right to some degree as to what the child eats but if a parent chooses to give their child a packed lunch then the school has no right to dictate what should go in it.  Parents are not stupid.  We know what constitutes a healthy balanced diet.  And would the school rather the little boy went hungry beacause he didn't like what was on the menu and refused to eat? 

As far a I'm aware cheese is a good source of calcium which is essential for the devlopment of teeth and bones.  Maybe I've been getting it all wrong!

• Options

Oh my goodness, talk about the nanny state.  Or should that be the nursery state...  Meal times are difficult enough without putting ridiculous restrictions on lunch boxes.  That said, it's surprising what some parents think is 'healthy; I know of one little boy at my son's pre-school whose parents had to be spoken to because they weren't including anything savoury at all in his lunch box - just crisps and chocolate! 

xx MTJAM

• Options
    How unrealistic! There's no way my son would eat a cheese and lettuce sandwich. Guidelines smidelines! Arghhhh, it's getting totally out of hand.